Shooting line?

• I know this is a bit of a repeat but I couldn't find a clear answer in previous post. I am going to replace my shooting line and was going to get the speed loader kit from Spearfishing Specialties, I think Divers Direct has them for under $20. The only concern is that is only comes with mono and I have never used mono, just a braided line. Are there any serious drawbacks to using the mono, i.e. line memory, potential to knot up/twist, stretch, etc. If mono is not your preferred line, what would you suggest? Thanks.

• Which speargun are you using?

I don't think that speed loading kit is for freedivers.

I am using a JBL magnum. I think they are designed more for Ocean Rhino type guns but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work on my gun. I used a buddy of mine's gun with one on it and I loved it, very useful. I have a speed load band (essentially a rubber tube) zip tied to my current line where it loops at the front of the gun now and it seems to work well. I was considering replacing the stock line on my gun and figured I would just buy a speed load kit with the clips and band already in place.

What would the difference be between the system being used for freediving vs. not? Do you see a way this could be a hindrance?

• I looked at the speed loading kit a long time ago and only remember my conclusion, not the reasons for it. Simply put I would never change my current setup and it consists of mono (400lb in my case) connected to the shaft via a rear tab and wrapped around the line release with no slack.

• Thanks Dan, I will have to think more about the speed rig; but either way I think I am going to go with the mono line.