• does anybody know how the (mystic sporasub)mask is? ive been wanting to get a new mask because the one i use now isnt mine and some times it leaks after i hit only about 30 feet, as if the seal is not good, not quite sure?i've read that the mystic mask is comfortable and has more visibility than usual spear fishing masks and better seal. taking any opinions/suggestions. Mahalo!

• I checked out he mystic mask at the store. There's nothing outstanding about it in terms of field of view or construction. With a mask the main thing is that it fit you well, and for that there's no getting around trying it on. I didn't find the mystic mask to have a fit that's significantly different than many other masks.

I think I saw in a pic that Greekdiver is using it. Maybe he'll chime in or you can pm him.

• A few comments on trying masks on in a store:

I think most people have the tendancy to just stick the mask to their face and if it stays stuck, they think it fits. I myself have done this, only to find that once I got in the water, the mask would leak at some point.

When trying on a mask, I stick it to my face, gently inhale through the nose and make sure it seals and is comfortable. After that, I move my head up and down, side to side and then look back over both shoulders.Also open and close your mouth. The seal should not break. This is occuring with the strap NOT in place.

Another key element that often gets overlooked in the store, is that the snorkel is not in place. The shape of your upper lip will change with the snorkel in place and may possibly lead to breaking the seal. I would suggest putting the tip of your tongue between your teeth and top lip to simulate a snorkel while trying on a mask in the store. Do this while doing all the head movements as well. You also want to make sure that the nose piece does not block your nostrils. Air flow through your nostrils should unimpeded for equalization of pressure in the mask as you descend and ascend.

Also check the field of vision. I have found that with most masks, I can see very well while looking up, and side to side. However, when I look down, my view is often obscured by the skirt of the mask and/or shape of the frame. This bugs the shit out of me. The Omer Alien is my preferred mask in terms of comfort and overall field of vision. I just wish it was available in an amber lens.

• also for the new divers out there ; remember to pull out the top edge of your hood( along the hairline) over the upper skirt of the mask or it will leak. Sounds obvious but sometimes we forget these little things.:)

• I love my Cressi Super Occhio.. only gripe is the insane mark up at the local shops on it..when the pursuit one is released we wont have that problem;)
    KISS

• very good advice. so true

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Had to return mine. Thought it fit well in the store but after wearing it for a little while, my brow was killing me!!!l

i have that same problem with my omer abyss exclusive...im starting to think maybe i have the strap too tight

• its pretty suprising the difference a loosening tjhe strap can make,, kind of lets the mask sit properly on your face. i assumed for a long time the tighter you can comfortably (relative) have it the better, but ive totally reversed that thinking lately

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I just thought I'd pop in here to throw one positive vote in for the Mystic. For me, it's the most comfortable mask I've tried on, and it fits me very well. While the field of view isn't as good as my Atomic Frameless, I find it a bit more comfortable, so I've been using it for scuba diving, and I'll be using it for freediving soon, as it's signlificantly lower volume.

• great tips John...one more is for those of us in the bearded club...In the event that your moustache causes leaks...I take a smear of vasaline across the upper lip and it will still seal even over my weak moustache

i like to spear fish