New member: Halibut report

• woo...this is my first halibut shot. Went out with Miguel the other day.

So we got in and I went right into the thick kelp while miguel stuck to the sandy areas. The viz was much much much better in there. I spooked a big one (probably a little smaller than miguels catch) and then I finally saw this one chilling in between some rocks and kelp.

measured in @ 22'' exactly...nothing huge but my first, so WOOO. He wasn't covered up at all, just chilling on the bottom. I spent probably 5 mins looking at it, trying to measure it up from the surface before pulling the trigger. As I was pulling him in, he spit out a big sardine type fish, so I guess he just ate and was feeling lazy.

man, these fillets are huge compared to the calicos I'm used to. Anyone ever cut out the meat around the cheek, near the eyes? I got two silver dollar sized bits from both sides. I've got them soaking in milk before I freeze them.

Also, what's the weird Y shaped, orange organ near the belly? never seen that before in a fish.

---
    side note: are you guys usually active on Spearboard too? what's the big difference between these two? why need both boards?
    ---

-adam

• go check the bikini section, and get back to us.

oh yeah, and we can say ~`~`~`~`, shit, pussy, and all the other words that make life more interesting.

stinks like pee

• SB has a lot of of members that spearfish with scuba, we don't care for that and you won't find it here. Consequently there's much less misinformation, bubble blowers simply don't understand what we do, our gear and more importantly our mentality. We have a higher caliber of members than SB, here most of the guys have good experience freedive spearfishing, some are very experienced. You will never get some noob know-it-all shooting his mouth off. Another factor for some of us is that we don't like the agenda of SB management. While many of us read SB freedivingspearfishing.com is where we consider home.

• SB has a lot of of members that spearfish with scuba, we don't care for that and you won't find it here. Consequently there's much less misinformation, bubble blowers simply don't understand what we do, our gear and more importantly our mentality. We have a higher caliber of members than SB, here most of the guys have good experience freedive spearfishing, some are very experienced. You will never get some noob know-it-all shooting his mouth off. Another factor for some of us is that we don't like the agenda of SB management. While many of us read SB freedivingspearfishing.com is where we consider home.

I knew there was a reason I was here:D

• Congrats on your first hali, I'm sure it won't be your last!

I think your y shaped organs are the paired ovaries loaded with eggs.

• I don't think there's any reason to soak halibut meat. It's good as is.

I tried cutting out the meat from the cheeks on my last halibut, but I cut to deep and sand from the mouth got all in the meat. Next time I'll try hosing out the mouth before filleting. I'm guessing the sand got in there when I washed up on shore. But you probably wouldn't have that problem as much up where you're diving with all the rocky shoreline.

• little bit too small now

try using photobucket and then just add the img tag, it will auto fit the column on the persons computer who loads it and only tkae a few seconds, plus it can be clicked and will be full massive size.

i like to spear fish