Humbling Experience – Guyana Trip

• Hi Guys,

Just got back from Guyana for a week of work, taking pictures for one of the largest rice mills in the country.

All I can say is: "count your blessings". We really don't know how comfortable we have it here. It was a very humbling experience.

For those of you interested in seeing some pictures, you can check them out here:

http://www.aboveandunder.com/GUYANA/

I attached a pic of dinner, caught in a ditch beside the road with all sorts of unsanitary stuff floating around...

Enjoy & dive safe,

G

• That's an awesome photoblog, one of most diverse I've seen!

Great pics Gerald, puts things in perspective, huh? :)

• Thanks Fuzz. It was hard concentrating on work as there was just so much to take pictures of. Besides, rice isn't exactly the most exciting subject, especially since in Guyana its grown on a large flat floodplain, 6ft below sea level, not on the stepped paddies like in lots of places in Asia.

I'm not a stranger to 3rd world travel, but this definitely put things in perspective. However primitive it all was though, the food was amazing. Genuine East Indian cooking, with everything fresh from the garden, and lots of fresh fruit in season. Ate all the guava and passionfruit I could ever wish for...

• Thanks Fuzz. It was hard concentrating on work as there was just so much to take pictures of. Besides, rice isn't exactly the most exciting subject, especially since in Guyana its grown on a large flat floodplain, 6ft below sea level, not on the stepped paddies like in lots of places in Asia.

I'm not a stranger to 3rd world travel, but this definitely put things in perspective. However primitive it all was though, the food was amazing. Genuine East Indian cooking, with everything fresh from the garden, and lots of fresh fruit in season. Ate all the guava and passionfruit I could ever wish for...

Nice, as a desk warrior... I'm jealous of your experience. :D

• on a separate note, you have a great photog's eye..your compositions are challanging to the viewer and in most cases draw your focus deeper and deeper into the image rather than just to the primary subject.

I also like how on most of your long perspective shots you are slightly off the center line and that is exactly my style...so much more dramatic tension from intersecting lines than striaght ones.

also you have a good way of capturing people with both the reality of their circumstances and a lot of pride and respect..perhaps that is more an effect of how the peopl are reacting to your personally than how well you wield your camera....Without wanting to jump to conclusions, I gather that you are a very sympathetic and kind person, or at least that is how you come across to the people who's images you are capturing....very nice work

i like to spear fish