Belize Guide info

• I lived worked and dived there for 5 years and never heard of any specific spearfishing guides. I didn't know of or ever see anyone but me spearfishing there. There are some dive shops and hook and line fishing guides there. Placencia is pretty small so if you get there and start asking around you'll find someone. You could start with Sea Horse or Splash dive shops which are right on the end of the penninsula.
    I used to spear down there a lot. It's a long way out to the barrier reef (20 + miles) from there but the inside cayes are not bad for hogfish, snappers, jacks.
    Start at Moho Caye and work your way north along a reef bank from Baker's Rendezvous to Crawl Caye. You can then head east to Rendezvous Caye (another one) across the Victoria Channel. I used to find some big snappers there.
    I haven't been down there for over 5 years but it's not commercially fished there like here near Dangriga.
    PM me before you get here. I have a lot of spots up this way. We get out to Turneffe too. I'd like to hook up with other spearos. Not many around here.

• Thanks for the great info Hank. I didn't know spearfishing was allowed in Belize.

In May of this year, Fisheries announced that no tourists were allowed to spearfish here anymore.
    But about a month ago I read that someone on one of the boards had just been here and had brought his gun in no problem and found a guide....I forget where...to take him out.

I then called Fisheries again and asked about the "no tourist" rule. I was told that the Minister had addressed the issue and to tell my friends that it's ok to bring their spearguns, come on down and shoot some fish. During the phone conversation we both agreed that the impact of tourists spearing here has little to absolutley no impact on the fish populations of the reef.

You can only free diver here and there are Marine Protected Areas where no spearing is allowed. Glover's Reef is almost entirely an MPA, Southwater Marine Reserve, Bacolar Chico up on Ambergris Caye and a few others.