Competitiveness in spearfishing

• Your post reminds me of what a good spearfisher I knew in Cuba said to me once about this sort of thing "The fish that is yours no one else will take it.". I guess it's a way of taking the pressure off yourself. I don't know to what extent I believe in that as I've definitely seen guys shoot a fish from under me, but then maybe the fish wasn't really mine in the first place :)

Nowadays I don't mind if I'm not the first one in the water even on a small spot. The only exception is if I'm with new guys and I think they'll shoot something silly and disturb the other fish. If I'm with experienced guys I don't mind at all. I know that chances are the commotion will attract some other fish and if it's a pelagic they know to leave it there for a little bit to increase the effect.

If the area is larger I normally don't mind someone getting ahead of me. I figure if they're so keen on doing so then they will shoot the first fish but then I'm under no obligation to spot them as they're handling the fish and move ahead significantly by the time they brought it under control and put it on the stringer so I get the next one.

• You guys have just embraced the soul or spirit of the sport. Many people do this in different sports and end up getting out of it competitively because it ruins them. Many surfers, snowboarders, hunters, rock climbers, sky divers etc.. feel the same way as you.

• I try to figure out why people get so hung up on categorizing spearfishing as a sport. Pantoja has an unusual (for the US) skill. He can climb easily up those slick palm trees and shake off a few coconuts which he enjoys eating. I'm not so hot on coconuts but I realize that in a pinch it's a good source of nourishment. I don't look at spearfishing any different. It's just a way of getting food while exercising your mental and physical capacities at the same time which is fun. To further put it into perspective; is lobstering a sport? OK it still involves diving. How about gathering shell fish in knee deep water, is that a sport? Yes or no, where do you draw the line? Sure coconut tree climbing can be a sport too.

So I guess it's how you approach it. If someone feels sexy putting on the latest wetsuit on the market and strapping on a brand name knife and takes pride in his spearfishing specific $100 float line to engage in an activity that they practice sporadically and to top it off use it as a status symbol then I can see that perceiving it as a sport is not a far stretch. I prefer it as simple as I can make it and this is reflected in my gear. Looking at this way I just realized that there are many more people that spearfish who would consider it a sport so I guess I'm in the minority. Having watched some videos of Hawaii spearfishing I believe that over there they're closer to the subsistence mentality.

Toledo said that I embraced the soul of the sport. Actually I'm just trying to get back to the way I used to do it when I started.

• Toledo said that I embraced the soul of the sport. Actually I'm just trying to get back to the way I used to do it when I started.

I use the word sport because of a lack of a better word. In your case it's probably not the best way to describe it but as soon as some morons started competing while doing it, and also threw some rewards/awards and money into it, it became a sport. If there were coconut retrieving competitions out there, it too would be a sport too. Recreation, activity, pursuit etc.. many words could probably describe it better.

• For this reason I'm always at a loss for the correct word. I can't bring myself to say sport when talking about spearfishing and activity/past time doesn't cut it. Frankly I don't feel "spearfishing" describes it very well either as originally spearfishing does not necessarily require diving. I find the Spanish pesca submarina much more appropriate and am completely comfortable with it. For those who don't know Spanish it translates literally underwater fishing but it rolls off the tongue easier. Sometimes caza submarina (underwater hunting) is used which brings another element to it. The word fishing has too strongly the image of hook and line attached to it.

Here's a GIF I made of traditional spearfishing that at one point thought of using as an avatar.

• I did a google search on the words competitiveness and spearfishing because I was curious if google already cached the thread. It did and I stumbled on this one as well. It presents the other side of the story and I thought it would be interesting to throw it in here for contrast. The author appears to have had the same start as me so I'm considering what he's saying here http://www.bluewaterhunter.com…ducation_competition.html

• I So I guess it's how you approach it. If someone feels sexy putting on the latest wetsuit on the market and strapping on a brand name knife and takes pride in his spearfishing specific $100 float line to engage in an activity that they practice sporadically and to top it off use it as a status symbol then I can see that perceiving it as a sport is not a far stretch. I prefer it as simple as I can make it and this is reflected in my gear. Looking at this way I just realized that there are many more people that spearfish who would consider it a sport so I guess I'm in the minority. Having watched some videos of Hawaii spearfishing I believe that over there they're closer to the subsistence mentality.

Ouch, touchè ...;)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I prefer buying spearfishing stuff instead of clothes though... I hardly have a cell phone but sure i have a bunch of spearguns . i don`t know whetter is sport or not but certainly is a hell of a workout.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver