Competitiveness in spearfishing

• Competitiveness in spearfishing can be a touchy subject but I think it's worth discussing. I'll state my opinion right from the start; I don't think competitiveness and spearfishing go well together. I think at worst competitiveness is dangerous and can lead to bad risk taking, at the least it can spoil a nice day on the water. I believe I can make this call because I have different kinds of diving to compare between. When I started spearfishing I was doing it alone and for a long time after too. I was completely free of competitiveness and the only thing that made me challenge myself was the environment in which I found myself. This means that if I tried to go deeper and longer it was because the circumstances demanded it not because I felt arbitrarily that I should be able to do it. While the two can appear the same in the end leading to the same thing, deeper and longer, I find that being influenced from the outside is much more draining. It's like doing something for the wrong reasons.

Coming to the US spearfishing became more of a social activity for me and inevitably brought competitiveness with other divers which I was naive about. It is something that I still have to deal with when I find myself in the company of competitive individuals. But worse than that it is something that I began to carry along even when I'm by myself. A part of the mental conditioning I do is to push that away back to wherever it came from and dive with a clear head. For this reason I prefer to dive with companions who are not outwardly competitive to the point that it throws off my day. A desire to do better born of camaraderie, difficult to explain, does not have the same negative effect.

I realize that these thoughts go completely against something as common as spearfishing tournaments so I expect a difference of opinion and welcome it. I just want to state my preference so as to be more open about myself and allow others who have the same ideas to relate to me. Very importantly when I think how competitiveness affected me, and I consider myself an experienced diver, I worry about how it affects beginners who have no other perspective and think that it's the norm.

Here's a little vid that I find ridiculous and think is pertinent in a round about way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe81lUbPNg

• Definately not a good mix. I look at spearfishing as a way of hanging out with buddies and having a good time on the water.

Davie Peguero

• I can see your point of view but any, and I mean any, sport that is competed at that high of a degree/level is dangerous. Boxing, MMA, Race Car Driving, Football etc.. Just about any competitive sport played at that high a level can maim you or kill you.

Edited once, last by Toledo970 ().

• Of all the things you mentioned MMA I'm familiar with. I've never considered it dangerous, scary yes, dangerous to the point of being life threatening no. Considering spearfishing a sport is another matter. I don't want to bore some of the guys here as I've already stated my views on the matter, there's a thread on one of the other forums about it, but spearfishing is not a sport to me. Under ideal circumstances it's an extension of my daily life. Just another pastime that puts food on my table. I do realize that it's not that way for everybody.

• Have people died doing MMA competitively? Yes. Some people see MMA as an extension of themselves. A love or a passion. Others have made it a job/career that puts food on their table.

Edited once, last by Toledo970 ().

• I think there's only been one death in MMA, a Russian guy in a poorly organized event as far as referees in Russia. I've seen the fight and it should have been stopped long before. The man was completely out on the floor and the opponent just kept beating his head. But now that you put it this way a lot does depend on the referee if you're losing in a bad way. But it is a sporting event and good refs and rules are an integral part of what's going on. I talk to a few guys that fight professionally, I'll ask them if they ever felt that their life was at risk going into these events. I can tell you that up until now I don't recall anyone thinking this way. However diving to depth death is always just around the corner.

• I don't know about the Russian, but there was a guy that died end of last year in Texas. I watched the fight on TV(news).

• I looked up the info and the fighter's name was Sammy Vasquez. Here's a relevant quote on the matter explaining the cause of death. Not trying to diminish the significance of what happened, I just found it illuminating.

Subdural hemorrhage is considered a rare injury in sports - even in boxing. Steve Sievert has some interesting facts in his article from an orthopedic surgeon regarding this particular injury.
    Here’s a snip:[INDENT]“This type of injury is common in the ‘regular world,’ say when a person falls and hits their head…but in combat sports, this injury is very, very rare…I’ll give you a for instance…(Boxers) Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor fought in February. It went 12 rounds, and Kelly Pavlik landed, I believe, 278 blows to the head, and Jermain Taylor landed 164 blows to the head. At UFC 82, (Cheick) Kongo versus (Heath) Herring - which they are both known to be standup guys - six head blows between the two of them. You just don’t have that accumulation of head blows in MMA.”
    [/INDENT]

I was also looking for the fight video but couldn't find it. Instead I stumbled on some vids about MMA accidents. Some of them are very interesting, enough to put you off MMA really :D I'll post the best ones later.

• All I'm saying is that you can get injured or killed in many many sports. You just have to be carefull. Also, as with diving, when you're trying out a new sport without any instruction or direction your chances of injury/death are much higher.

• Definately not a good mix. I look at spearfishing as a way of hanging out with buddies and having a good time on the water.

I agree. But I consider it a sport as well. You have to be in shape do feel good in the water. At least if you still want to do things you are used to.

I see competitiveness mostly in young spearos (and I felt that when I was younger). When you get older your brain is less filled with testosterone... :D

I participated at the Nationals in Venezuela back in 2003 and will not do it again. Even if the ambient was ok and I had the chance to spear at different locations, I was forced to shoot fish that I normally don't even look at.
    Minimum size was 500 grs (less than 1 puond) for many species (other were bigger, like snappers, goupers and other). species that I normally disregard were allowed to take, etc.
    At the end, I went well to me, but I didn't felt good killing fishes that won't be consumed by me afterwards.

It changed the whole philosophy of spearfishing in my perception. Won't do it again.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• While I can't honestly say that today I'm a subsistence spearfisher like what I've seen in Cuba my mental approach is the same. Would you say that subsistence spearfishers are participating in a sporting activity? Does it depend on what part of their catch they sell? How much their livelihood actually depends on it? I knew guys who approached spearfishing with a similar mindset to mine. They loved it, but they also sold fish. If they didn't have enough fish to sell their world wouldn't end and they would still continue every other day. They had their own ethics about the fish they would and wouldn't take. One example is a spearfisher I knew who would take any fish if it had some meat on it but told me he doesn't like killing turtles. Now a turtle is worth more in Cuba than any fish, about $2/lb.

Where is the line between subsistence and sport? I think it's in the persons head and how they approach the whole thing. For me ideally it's: I'm going to go and cover a certain area that I consider my home waters. It may hold fish and may not on any given day. I'll take what I come across and if there's not much then that's what is in the cards for that day. However I know that almost certainly I will take something that will replenish the energy I put into the day's diving and some more on top. The ability to do this does not take any special training effort on my part. I try to squeeze sport somewhere into all this but I just can't find where to fit it.

In the quest for new grounds and more action a boat comes into the picture. Boating does change the equation, sometimes a little sometimes a lot. As a friend told me, once you start to use a boat you inevitably look to share resources. This brings other people into the equation. Everyone then feels that the effort put into the venture must be justified. An element of urgency to increase productivity is added. This sometimes makes it more competitive depending on who you're diving with. Does that make the activity more sporting?

In the end I know by feel the elements that come into my day that effect me negatively. I consider competitiveness and sport a couple of these elements. To each their own of course.

• Competitiveness, by definition, is part of all sports. Although you choose not to practice it in this manner, it doesn't mean that it's not a sport, professional or not.
    You remind me alot of the guys I know out here in Cali. These guys live to surf. They truly live the "Surfer" life. But guess what, it's a sport and people get killed doing it.
    By the way, snowboarding is very much the same. Some people leave their lives, move to the mountains, and live a super simple(difficult $$$) life to be able to board everyday.
    Dan, I of all people see your point of view, I have even thought of dropping out of the" rat race" and moving to the mountains or 3rd world near the Ocean. I have 2 kids and a wife. Not an easy decision.:)

• This is a direct quote from Pellizarri's Manual of Freediving (Page 23, 6th paragraph):

"Apnea does not lend itself well to competitiveness--it is better to talk in terms of improving physical and psychological potential rather than contending with oneself or others."

• I buy it in the sense that I think he meant it when he wrote it. Besides I believe in the same thing. Apnea is all about relaxing, the pressure that comes with competition goes completely against that and is inevitable. I do find it curious though coming from Pellizarri, isn't he a very competitive freediver? I think there's a whole saga between him and Pipin Ferreras.

• I have that book. Yes, he is highly competitive.
    Don't most highly competitive sports require you to have a clear, calm, strong, mind? Try to only think about the competition/other guy going 200 mph in a Formula Car.

• I think extreme competitiviness leads eventually to bad decisions that will translate sooner or later in safety issues. A bit of self or auto competitiviness , is necessary to get an edge in any sport though.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• When I was in cuba , spearos would always try to prove themselves . there were a lot of cases where people would go fishing with you and try all the time to be one step ahaed of you to be the first one to see the fish, to , in consecuense catch more. This things made me feel bad an always stayed behind or changed curse with my cordelero. Sometimes when I fish and see a fish the first thing I do is look at the guy near me to see if he is preparing if not then I go for it, i hate it when i see myself going down and then the other starts the descent on top of me chasing the same fish which most of the cases results in the loss of it. When this happens I think it's the persons ego trying to show how better he is. I hate that. I know everybody wants in a way to be the best but cutting somebody else's way constantly isn't the way. In cuba people earned a status in the spearfishing comunity by killing a lot of fish and showing how deep you could go, and you actually gained respect with that , but the price is high. And how high. Shit , I love shooting things in the water and out too. but I am what I am and don't care who is best or worst .