DIY float with flag

• Ingredients.

1. Two bullet nose lobster buoys $3-$7 each depending where you buy.
    2. Length of PVC pipe 1" diameter $1.50 for 12ft
    3. Nylon rope, $7 for 30ft if it's "Rob Allen" or next to nothing if you have old clothes line lying around.
    4. Two stainless steel washers 1.5" diameter $1 each west marine.
    5. Stainless steel swivel $??
    6. Round lead weight that was tapered on both sides. I cut off the tapers to bring it down to 2lb and make it a perfect cylinder $10. I'd mold my own to save on the cutting work.
    7. A 1ft length of some kind of hose from Advanced Auto parts that is just perfect for the flag pole $2.
    8. Flag and pole.

Tools.

1. Drill.
    2. A hole saw to match the diameter of the lead.
    3. Drill bit the diameter of the hose.
    4. Hacksaw.

TorpedoFloat03.jpg

I think the pictures speak for themselves. The lead ballast keeps the the flag upright. It also keeps the the buoys from rotating on the pipe. For the flag drill a hole the same diameter of the rubber hose into the widest part of the buoy. Cut the hose so it sticks about 1" above the float and glue in place. The inner diameter is perfect fit for the flag so suction keeps it in there even if the float gets turned upside down with the flag underwater. A stringer can be clipped to the back loop. If more flotation is needed use bigger buoys, different sizes are available.

I put the float in the water and it performed well.

TorpedoFloat05.jpg

• dan im planning on doing the exact same thing except i will not use a flag
    just wondering if you have a review of this float whats the max pulldown or buoyancy do this floats have?
    do you have taken some fish with this
    planning on buying 4 to make 2 floats im shooting mahi medium sizw wahoo Aj groupers and snnapers

thanks alex

• Alex Ive used those lobster floats before for commercial fishing applications.... If you run a floatline to your gun and a 2nd floatline or bungee(6-10 feetlong) between the 1st and 2nd float you should be just fine for the size of fish your shooting in that area. I used RA hard floats when I dove in cozumel and a big cuda barely pulled it down.

• thanks andrew i was planning on using as you mentioned a bungee in between floats
    i want something that will not tear up the soft flesh of the wahoo lost one that way last weekend was using a riffe 1 atmosfere float but this one gives a lot of bouyancy and resistance and the flesh tears ,

thanks ill let you know how it worked

• 100 Feet floatline. No bungee.

Try to place your shot either in the head or in the tail area, between the two finlets they have. They won't tear.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Alex, I don't have the information you're looking for. I've been using a RA float for 3 years now and it can handle everything I shoot. But I believe one of these floats (2 lobster buoys) should handle a 50lb fish no problem. Depending on shot placement of course.

• thanks marco for the info

thanks dan i think i will give a go to this aproach
    by the way dan i cancelled my trip down there thats why i didnt call