Video from last night's dive

• The music made it 10x better! Fit perfectly. You get any halibut? I was going to go out this morning, but my van broke down... Possibly tonight now.

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• The music made it 10x better! Fit perfectly. You get any halibut? I was going to go out this morning, but my van broke down... Possibly tonight now.

Nah no halibut. If I saw a legal halibut I would have turned on my camera before shooting.

• That was cool daniel, the ray looked like a butterfly ray. I'm not sure on the shrimp species, I'll have to look it up when I get back to work. I've seen them come up on the trawls though.

• That was cool daniel, the ray looked like a butterfly ray. I'm not sure on the shrimp species, I'll have to look it up when I get back to work. I've seen them come up on the trawls though.

Yep that ray was a butterfly. Do you have some sort of computer database of all the sea creatures at work Chris? Or do you just use a really big book?

• is it legel to shoot at shrimp with a gun??

A better question is, will the average game warden care?

Shrimp are like Humboldt squid. Both are bountiful, not endangered, impossible to grab by hand, rare for either to come into contact with divers, and with a near absolute certainty it is given that the DFG will never change the regulations to allow for spearing either (not because of protection purposes, but because it is just so insignificant that they would not want to waist the ink to allow it).

• Yep that ray was a butterfly. Do you have some sort of computer database of all the sea creatures at work Chris? Or do you just use a really big book?

No we've got some guys that do a lot of work with inverts and I'll try to ask them, otherwise there's what I call, "the bible", it's this gigantic intertidal/subtidal book that's out of print that we use, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, we've also got a very small library that's open to the public if you are ever in the area. If it's fish you can always check out fishbase.org. I hate running things thru keys but unfortunately that's the only way to tell sometimes. At any rate I'll try to remember monday when I'm back in.

• Great video! I think if you speared one of those shrimp you might vaporize it, I've tried catching them but that's an exercise in futility right there...