Videos of serious injuries in MMA and other martial arts

• Warning, some of this stuff is really brutal and hard on the eyes. But there's some funny vids too.

MMA, the combatants are women and the injury happens near the end. It is typical of what happens when a commitment to a movement is made and the whole momentum of the body becomes the driving force. It's amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJ8fKTmw8E&feature=related

MMA, not a very high caliber fighter goes against a wrestler and gets brutally slammed. The body's reaction to the slam is interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2BRJLkjCg&feature=related

BJJ, this is a very serious move by JJ player. I know the position well and have always felt that the bottom person can be taken advantage off just never knew how. Maybe because in BJJ we always calculate moves to be applied in a controlled way so as not to injure our training partner. There is not way IMO to apply this move in a controlled way. I suspect the guy who did it knew that and still chose to do it. This is exactly why I'm weary of competitions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_qFMo6hRo&feature=related

• Can you explain your view on what happened.
    I think the guy on bottom bridged way to far.there's no way he was going to force him back down. He should have commited to that ankle/leg he was trying to grab and he should have let go the guard and gone into the ankle/leg lock. Also, the guy in the guard looks like he dropped back to do the same, grab right leg/ankle lock. He never tried reaching under the guys leg to break the guard in any way.
    I am not a black belt in BJJby far, but what move do you see he was trying to do?

Edited 2 times, last by Toledo970 ().

• Some Brazilian guys are very aggressive, like I said I think he did it on purpose to cause the effect that it did. I don't think it happened while he was trying to do something else. There are some moves that you just can't practice, you can only execute them under full commitment.

I'll give an example of what happened to me one time. When you do an ankle twist you try to do it gradually to give the opponent a chance to give up before damage is done. When you train enough this way you become complacent about some very inferior positions in the sense that you allow them to go further than they ever should. This would never happen if you were more tense or had more nervous energy going into the fight. Anyways this noob took hold of my foot while I was on my back and he was standing up. I was complacent about it because I thought I knew how long it would take him to set up for something. Instead of doing any of the traditional ankle locks he just pinned my foot across his chest with both arms and threw himself on the floor to the outside direction while keeping my foot tight. He fucked up my knee ligaments real bad and I couldn't walk for a couple of weeks. For a couple of months after I wore a knee brace.

Specifically about the back break; the bottom guy's mistake was that he let loose the opponents whole right side by uselessly putting both arms around the left leg. This allowed the opponent to pivot around his own left leg by side stepping with the right. I have no idea what he was trying to do grabbing the leg like that, looks like a dead end to me.

• Can you explain your view on what happened.
    I think the guy on bottom bridged way to far.there's no way he was going to force him back down. He should have commited to that ankle/leg he was trying to grab and he should have let go the guard and gone into the ankle/leg lock. Also, the guy in the guard looks like he dropped back to do the same, grab right leg/ankle lock. He never tried reaching under the guys leg to break the guard in any way.
    I am not a black belt in BJJby far, but what move do you see he was trying to do?

It was a SUTEMI WAZA, that went real wrong :nono: :0.

Dan, that´s what i was talking about, i no longer practice MMA, cause is real easy for somebody to go over the line. If someone in boxing or Karate is going to far, i just kick him harder or stop the training and that´s it, but in a grappling session there is a point of no return in every tecinique

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Sutemi Waza is a " sacrifice technique" part of the Nage Waza series in japanese jiujitsu, (
    that is in fact deadlier than BJJ, cause in japanese JJ it´s intended to actually harm the adversary. Not doing so leads us directly to competitive Judo, or soft (sissy :D) art...

• Specifically about the back break; the bottom guy's mistake was that he let loose the opponents whole right side by uselessly putting both arms around the left leg. This allowed the opponent to pivot around his own left leg by side stepping with the right. I have no idea what he was trying to do grabbing the leg like that, looks like a dead end to me.

Agreed. My only thought was that he was going for some sort of leg/knee lock or he was trying to pull the leg while pushing with his guard to sweep the guy.

I had a similar thing happen to me Dan, with one of the JKD instructorsin Cali. I had him in a position for a RNC and didn't want to be a penis and force it in, we kept rolling and ended up each in a leg lock he cranked it I didn't.
    Monster, are you talking about the first video? The "Valley drop"? Yes, it's a Sutemi Waza. I don't know the actual name, but I know that was the translation, or name I was taught. Also, alot of the BJJ guys practice all of those throws.

Edited 3 times, last by Toledo970 ().

• I still think grappling is safe. Once you get past the growing pains and know where everything can lead you can just tap. I don't practice with a gi and I no longer let anyone grab my feet or legs. I just start kicking like hell. I no longer do leg locks except for the knee bar that doesn't put me in the same position to do a leg lock on me. If we do end up like that I change the position quick as I don't want to get into the race of who puts it on first. That's a classic point of injury as both guys feel threatened and accelerate. Besides the straight ankle stretch doesn't work on many guys with strong ligaments and the ankle bar in the corner of the arm is relatively easy to escape if you don't have it snapped on perfect.

Talking about a no return point in grappling makes me think of the same in striking. Check these out.

Boxing, serious knockout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wNrB_V3PFc&feature=related

Kickboxing, leg break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCMqvdFJYo&feature=related

MMA, leg break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBE5FQR5cW8&feature=related

• I had a similar thing happen to me Dan, with one of the JKD instructorsin Cali. I had him in a position for a RNC and didn't want to be a penis and force it in, we kept rolling and ended up each in a leg lock he cranked it I didn't.

This just reminded me of the first time I learned the hard way not to cross my legs in front of the guy when I have his back. Can you guess what I'm talking about? :)

• I still think grappling is safe. Once you get past the growing pains and know where everything can lead you can just tap. I don't practice with a gi and I no longer let anyone grab my feet or legs. I just start kicking like hell. I no longer do leg locks except for the knee bar that doesn't put me in the same position to do a leg lock on me. If we do end up like that I change the position quick as I don't want to get into the race of who puts it on first. That's a classic point of injury as both guys feel threatened and accelerate. Besides the straight ankle stretch doesn't work on many guys with strong ligaments and the ankle bar in the corner of the arm is relatively easy to escape if you don't have it snapped on perfect.

Talking about a no return point in grappling makes me think of the same in striking. Check these out.

Lol, you got a point here. Anyway this happened in actual competition. Competiition always involves a great degree of risk in any contact sport. Practice should be safe though in order to get the best of training at any age. I feel safer in boxing and kenpo karate, the take downs in MMA are insane. At the rip age of 38 there is no way i sould enjoy being taked down for instance.

• Nothing like a nice good ole punch to make a man feel alive!!:D

Lol, here in Mexico the people are so cocky that the instructors and coachs use to menace little kids with a long time prohibition of sparring to get them on track. Mexicans love heartly their contact sports. It´s a cultural thing i guess :naughty:

• This just reminded me of the first time I learned the hard way not to cross my legs in front of the guy when I have his back. Can you guess what I'm talking about? :)

:laughing3: They pushed down hard and/or put their leg on your ankles and you scream like a little girl. That does hurt like a biotch.

• Nothing like a nice good ole punch to make a man feel alive!!:D

Lol, here in Mexico the people are so cocky that the instructors and coachs use to menace little kids with a long time prohibition of sparring to get them on track. Mexicans love heartly their contact sports. It´s a cultural thing i guess :naughty:

I'll post the link cuz I can't post the pic. This is from my friends(Luis) school.
    I'm the guy on the right standing. Many moons ago.http://www.onedragon.com/pictures/98allP02-02.jpg

The guy in the next pic, second from right(Rob) elbowed me between my nose and lip. I woke up with a bag of ice on my face looking like the elephant man. I don't like getting hit. By the way, we were just messing around, me with mitts on.http://www.onedragon.com/pictures/98allP02-10.jpg

Edited once, last by Toledo970 ().

• Is the bald guy on the right flexing his quads for the pic? LOL

I'm glad you got the riddle Ray, now I know you weren't bullshitting :D You never know with these internet things.. Look at me, I just started diving a month ago but you'd never know it :laughing:

• Is the bald guy on the right flexing his quads for the pic? LOL

I'm glad you got the riddle Ray, now I know you weren't bullshitting :D You never know with these internet things.. Look at me, I just started diving a month ago but you'd never know it :laughing:

Dan, I understand perfectly. I hope I make it back there some day soon(for good). I would love to go out spearing and also roll with you guys. I need lots of help in both departments these days.
    That's Manny. Hell of a fighter(strong) and your Local Postman.

• I'll post the link cuz I can't post the pic. This is from my friends(Luis) school.
    I'm the guy on the right standing. Many moons ago.http://www.onedragon.com/pictures/98allP02-02.jpg

The guy in the next pic, second from right(Rob) elbowed me between my nose and lip. I woke up with a bag of ice on my face looking like the elephant man. I don't like getting hit. By the way, we were just messing around, me with mitts on.http://www.onedragon.com/pictures/98allP02-10.jpg

Elbowed in the nose and just fooling around??? Man, those practices are pretty extreme!! I see now why you don´t like getting hit. Around here elbows and knees are nono´s during a practice.

A lot of people enjoy "ponerse los guantes" on a daily basis. The difference here is that in the states if you hurt someone badly (on purpose) training, you´ll get suited. Here in Mex, you´ll get shot or stabbed :D

By the way no offense, but buffing your bods to the extreme and look tough doesn´t make practice any safer. au contraire, all the guys who are muscular tend to bully around somehow. That gives M.A. a bad name, for the uneducated public m.a an even worst MMA look like a bunch of hulking maniacs trying to kick the living shit out of each other.

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• By the way i had seen more broken noses, split lips and bad injuries in Basketball, soccer and even baseball, unlike M.A. cause in amateur karate competition is about developing a skill, not to prove how tough we are. Martial arts are both a sport and a way of life. The 99 % of the time that doesn´t have to do nothing with self defense. Real self defense situations requires a gun instead of bare hand techniques. So it´s just for the fun, health and camaraderie, not training to defend your life, cause most of the time those techniques are useless against an armed assailant...
    Never bring M.A. techniques to a gun fight.

• Well monster, I don't disagree with some of the things you're saying but it seems to me you're applying them a little too generally here. For one there's the discrepancy of saying that the skills learned in the martial arts are not applicable in real life and should be taken only as fun and games. I remember in another discussion you were talking about a friend of yours who works in a special unit or something along those lines and how karate never failed him in numerous real life situations he faced.

Without a doubt the skills acquired grappling, combined with a common sense approach will serve you very well in all situations. Knowing when you're out gunned and running away to live to fight another day is another matter. But I do agree as I too am way past the tough guy stage and now know that the worst situations are ones you don't even ask for. Living a safe and healthy life is a balance of skills including emotional stability, a clear head when making a decision to do something, as well as the physical skills to deal with confrontations. I can't say I've perfected it for myself but at least I don't look for trouble.

About getting elbowed; I don't know Ray's way of training but I've had it happen in grappling unintentionally just by turning hard/twisting my torso to escape a clinch. I'm sure it can happen during a flurry of movement in many other situations. Hell I kneed a guy slightly trying to get top mount position today, didn't mean to do it but apparently hurt him a little. I apologized immediately.

In grappling today I experienced something relevant to what I mentioned before about becoming complacent. I let myself slip as I had north south position on a kneeling opponent. He put his arm around my elbow from the bottom. I thought he was preparing to sit out which I'm ready to counter and so didn't pay it much thought. Instead he grabbed my wrist with his other hand and did an elbow lock. It was surprisingly strong and affected my elbow and my shoulder at the same time. I was very close to injury, closer than in a long time. Fortunately he's a good guy who's aware of the effect of the lock and he applied it gradually. I asked him to show me the move. It's a good move that I will incorporate into my game because even if you don't get the lock from the bottom you can escape the position.

• A martial arts foundation, may help you to have an edge, either with a knife or a gun. I agree with you in that sense. M.A. foundation alone are not superhero skills to prevent you for getting harmed or killed for that matter. (excepting Chuck Norris :) of course )
    Martial arts are a way to achieve Health and self confidence at any age. To get seriously injured during martial arts practice defeats the very purpose of it. If you really want to hurt someone, you don´t need muscles nor technique, just a pair of huge balls.
    As te Old man used to say: " A criminal doesn´t develop a weapon, he would rather buy one"