Some conclusions about knife placement

• I did a couple of days of diving experimenting with a new to me knife position and knife. The knife I used is the Wenoka Squeeze lock which is identical to the omer laser.

I've always worn a knife on my inner calf. What prompted me to experiment is that I figured since I'm always moving my legs it would be good to have them as streamlined as possible. Placing the knife on the inner calf greatly limits the possibility of entanglement so that wasn't an issue.

The first place other than the leg that the knife could go with little modification was the belt. All I had to do was reposition the weights. I had in mind two possible positions; one that I've seen Pipin Ferreras demonstrate which is at the small of the back, the other was directly on the side. In front positions are precluded because it interferes with doubling over when starting the dive unless the knife is placed horizontally. In my case there's no room for that because I have the powerhead pouch directly to the left of the buckle and I load the speargun on the hip to the right of the buckle. The Wenoka squeeze lock being small lend itself well to this experiment.

My considerations included ease of access and deployment, comfort, and streamlining as far as the possibility of the knife getting caught on anything. Particularly important is ease of access and deployment because I consider the knife an emergency tool. Braining and gutting fish can wait, being entangled with fishing line on the bottom at the end of your breath hold can't.

• I discounted the small of the back position immediately. Apart from having to remove too many weights before removing the knife every time weight adjustment is necessary, the position is completely blind. The knife can be reached with either hand but it's a difficult stretch and you have to go completely by feel. There is no way I'm counting on that position in a moment of emergency. I can't believe that Pipin advocates this position in an instructional video on basic spearfishing gear and techniques.

Therefore I dove a couple of days with the knife on my hip. My conclusion is that I don't like the position. While the knife is visible and easier to reach the movement is still not fluid and requires more dexterity than I would want to count on in an emergency situation. It also pokes my side when I dive and when I turn right underwater. The Wenoka knife being small did not diminish this effect. Placing the knife back in the sheath was a bit of guess work, more time consuming than pulling it out. I didn't like the function of the knife's locking mechanism either. It required more dexterity than I would want to use. No matter how many times I gripped it there was always a necessity to readjust after the first grip to squeeze the locking plastic tabs correctly. I realize that this might not be such an issue if the knife is in a very visible and easy to reach place. I also found it too short for my liking.

In conclusion I've discounted the belt as a place to keep the knife. If I find myself using borrowed gear I can deal with it but ideally don't want to. Also I don't want to lose one more thing if I need to drop the belt. The next placement I will try is on the forearm or bicep. The only disadvantage I see with that is that I can only reach it with one hand.

• On scuba I prefer to mount my knife on my BC inflator hose at chest level, and it has always seemed to me that the perfect mount for freediving would also be near the middle of the chest. Easily accessible with either hand, but high enough not to interfere when bending to dive or turn, and wouldn't be lost if the belt needed to be ditched. Obviously an issue if you are chest loading your gun, though maybe it could be positioned slightly to one side? Aside from the obvious difficulty of constructing the mount, what are the disadvantages of this arrangement?

• No disadvantages that I can see. I agree that it would be a great place for it. However short of gluing a pocket on each wetsuit I don't know of another way to do it. Some of the wetsuits we wear here in the summer are very thin, too thin to glue a pocket to, and we also use rash guards. A gun holster type of mount is not reasonable.

• I had lost a couple of omer lasers, when they were still available, the strap and sheath were a pain in the calf :D: and the arm:D The elastic bands that Riffe issues its deluxe knives with, are the best bet, cause they are stretchy and could be attached to the forearm with ease. I guess a knife in the belt is not very good, unless the knife is considered as expendable. The best bet are two knives, one in the right tight or calf the other in the left forearm ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• At this time I have 3 levels of protection wear that I use. Rash guards (lycra) in the summer, 1mm for the fall and spring, and 3mm in the winter. Only the 3mm will hold a pocket or a sheath directly.

Monster, I agree those elastic straps are good. Did you ever get your similar material Jeff? I also agree that two knives at the locations you described are the best solution.