Hardware requirements to play/edit HD video

• I did a search, but the threads I found seemed to focus mostly on software. The laptop I have at the moment has pretty meager specs and can't even play 1080 video properly, much less edit it. So, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I've seen the minimum requirements on Gopro's site, but was curious to see what was recommended. The Dell system I'm looking at has an i5 processor, 4GB ram and a 1GB dedicated video card. It priced out at around $850. Do you think I could get away with this?

• It might work, but unless you are stuck on a laptop, I'd suggest a desktop. It can handle quite a bit more than a laptop can...

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• You might want to check out a Mac. They are sweet!!! They may cost a little extra but they are easily worth it. Also they have great, powerful and easy to use video editing software built in. Plus NO VIRUSES!!

• I don't get viruses. I do have a good antivirus program running plus a firewall and a couple of other protection layers, including backup. Are you saying that a mac doesn't need such programs because it can't be attacked? Or that hackers are not interested in targeting macs because PCs are more common? I don't know much about mac computers.

• Its not that macs cant be attacked but as of now hardly anybody has tried. I think there has been only 1 virus that has ever been written for a mac and that was a few years ago and the newest mac software protects you from that out of the box. They do sell firewall programs for Mac (for those that are paranoid) but you dont have to worry about scanning updating and all the other hassle associated with most anti-virus programs. On top of that not all anti-virus programs are perfect most of them cant protect you against the newest viruses and bugs that are out there anyway. Ive used windows machines for years. I even went so far as to build one from scratch to use during high school so dont get me wrong I have nothing against windows. I had antivirus and firewalls on that machine and despite that I happened to get two of the nastiest viruses there are. Luckily for me I had designed my computer with two hard drives on that ran my windows software and one that held all my media so I didnt loose too much. Too make a long story short (shorter) I switched to a MacBook Pro when I went to college and I absolutely love it. all of the programs run seamlessly and because I have an iPhone it makes it all that much smoother. The Mac software is really designed to run quickly and be extremely user friendly. Plus Mac is known for its multimedia and has some really great software that comes standard like: itunes, garage band, and iMovie. To truly get the most out of a windows computer you really need to understand a lot more about the software side than most people ever learn. Mac has done a great job at making things user friendly and simple.

Hope I didnt bore you.
    Xan

• I've used a Mac for video editing before and yes, it was super easy and intuitive. But if you want to configure a Mac with similar specs to the laptop I have in mind, it would probably cost around $2,000. In a perfect world, I'd have both. This might actually end up happening, if the wife asks for a Mac for xmas.

• Macs are definitely expensive. If you cant go with a Mac then I would recommend Toshiba, Acer, or HP. I would say definitely stay away from Sony (horrible battery and a tendency to make make it difficult to use other brands). Dell is ok but they can be finicky and its hard to upgrade them with out having a tech rep or sending it back. The i5 is a great laptop processor and 4GB of RAM should be plenty. If you can specify Nvidia graphics card. I think dell is partnered with them. I have had great luck with their products and zero problems. Also a HUGE recommendation: Go to a store and get a feel for the computer your about to buy. Check out the keys and the trackpad because regardless of the stats of the computer they are the parts of the computer you will use the most.

Good luck

• this is my take on the mac vs PC debate...the mac is 95% perfect for 90% of the people...if you are one of the 10% you are screwed cos you cannot "fix" a mac that doesnt do what you want...you can only get so far into the machine as the user...I resent this, i want complete control and the problems that come with it. Ihave enjoyed many macs and have an Iphone now, but for me, a PC gives me the control and customizing that I want.

I am in the minority though, the macs are great

i like to spear fish

• this is my take on the mac vs PC debate...the mac is 95% perfect for 90% of the people...if you are one of the 10% you are screwed cos you cannot "fix" a mac that doesnt do what you want...you can only get so far into the machine as the user...I resent this, i want complete control and the problems that come with it. Ihave enjoyed many macs and have an Iphone now, but for me, a PC gives me the control and customizing that I want.

I am in the minority though, the macs are great

I completely agree. For a small percentage of the people who know enough about their machine and the software the Mac's are "restrictive". This is a big part of why there are so few viruses for them. They prevent people from "messing" with system files and other important information that is crucial for smooth operation. If you need a computer that you cant mess up (not including physical damage) then Macs are solid machines. If you're looking for something that your can tweak and tinker with or have enough knowledge to truly customize then a PC may be better for you. I built my PC for just that reason and it runs great but for my college notebook that would have all my school files and is essentially my life I cant afford it to be down for a week with a virus.

Great point Lunker, I just figured Dan isnt the biggest computer nerd.

• Macs are definitely expensive. If you cant go with a Mac then I would recommend Toshiba, Acer, or HP. I would say definitely stay away from Sony (horrible battery and a tendency to make make it difficult to use other brands). Dell is ok but they can be finicky and its hard to upgrade them with out having a tech rep or sending it back. The i5 is a great laptop processor and 4GB of RAM should be plenty. If you can specify Nvidia graphics card. I think dell is partnered with them. I have had great luck with their products and zero problems. Also a HUGE recommendation: Go to a store and get a feel for the computer your about to buy. Check out the keys and the trackpad because regardless of the stats of the computer they are the parts of the computer you will use the most.

Good luck

Excellent post - thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I considered Acer and HP, but I heard some negative things about HP's reliability and customer service, as well as an overheating issue. It looks like you can get a similarly configured Acer for a couple hundred less than Dell, but the configs I saw all included a 5400 RPM HD, versus 7200 for the Dell, unless I'm missing something. The Dell does come with a Nvidia card. I'm obviously not an expert on this stuff, and so any advice is appreciated.

• LB, you said it the way I would've like to. From adding all kinds of hardware; drives, memory, video card etc. to readily available software, the easily customizable PC tower/box and windows is the way to go for me. Protection is not an issue, a computer requires maintenance and I know how to do it. BTW I still use XP SP3, I didn't like the newer versions of windows. XP does everything I need it to. My particular setup may not be ideal for intensive HD video editing, but I get by. If I needed to I'd upgrade the processor, memory, video card etc. I'm not sure that's possible with a mac since everything is contained in the monitor.

• Excellent post - thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I considered Acer and HP, but I heard some negative things about HP's reliability and customer service, as well as an overheating issue. It looks like you can get a similarly configured Acer for a couple hundred less than Dell, but the configs I saw all included a 5400 RPM HD, versus 7200 for the Dell, unless I'm missing something. The Dell does come with a Nvidia card. I'm obviously not an expert on this stuff, and so any advice is appreciated.

5400 vs 7200 isnt a big difference. It mostly comes down to a slightly faster read/write speed.I would look more at the brand of the drive than the rpm. I would look for Seagate, Hitachi or Toshiba and avoid Western Digital. Also the 7200 is also more common on desktop computers as it requires more energy to spin those drives which can limit the battery life on a laptop.

I have heard about the overheating issues with HP but have not had a problem with the ones I or my family have owned so I can really comment on the tech support. If your looking for a good deal I would advise avoiding a "custom" machine that is ordered from the manufacturer. If you can find a prebuilt machine with the stats you want at Tigerdirect.com or a similar store it will almost always be cheaper.

Glad I could help.

• LB, you said it the way I would've like to. From adding all kinds of hardware; drives, memory, video card etc. to readily available software, the easily customizable PC tower/box and windows is the way to go for me. Protection is not an issue, a computer requires maintenance and I know how to do it. BTW I still use XP SP3, I didn't like the newer versions of windows. XP does everything I need it to. My particular setup may not be ideal for intensive HD video editing, but I get by. If I needed to I'd upgrade the processor, memory, video card etc. I'm not sure that's possible with a mac since everything is contained in the monitor.

I love and use both platforms and basically the differences that have been pointed out here is why both brands are still going. If you want the best of both worlds try Linux:D They have gotten really close to emulating both the windows and Mac OS.

I love XP so far its my favorite of the WIndows software and easily the most stable. (although Windows 7 is looking good so far) If the rumors I hear are correct Windows 7 is just response to the fail of Vista and only a stepping stone towards their next big OS launch. :thumbsup2:

• Got it. I'm taking a look at Tigerdirect and am seeing a couple of interesting Samsung models. Any experience with Samsung laptops? The one thing I noticed is the keyboard. I'm not sure if I'd like it.

• Dont have any experience with samsung laptops but their other electronics are top notch. (ie TV's phones, and DVD players)

I would definitely agree with that. Last question for you - do you think I will notice a big difference between 4 and 6GB of RAM?

• If the machine is going to be under heavy load maybe. My experience has been that a brand new computer is very fast and you wont notice a big difference unless your doubling the ram. I would say its probably better to hold off and save the 100-200 difference in the RAM and wait 6-12 months. If you still think you need a RAM upgrade at that time then go ahead and do it the chips will probably bee nearly half the price if not less. There are also random dips in the price of RAM that will occur in that time and you will be able to save a lot of money. 4 GB should be enough.

• If the machine is going to be under heavy load maybe. My experience has been that a brand new computer is very fast and you wont notice a big difference unless your doubling the ram. I would say its probably better to hold off and save the 100-200 difference in the RAM and wait 6-12 months. If you still think you need a RAM upgrade at that time then go ahead and do it the chips will probably bee nearly half the price if not less. There are also random dips in the price of RAM that will occur in that time and you will be able to save a lot of money. 4 GB should be enough.

Excellent advice. Thanks. Who knew I'd get computer help on a spearfishing forum :D