Hardware requirements to play/edit HD video

• one more thought...i find that using an external harddrive is a great practice for laptop users simply because our machines are subject to physical abuse that a desktop never experieinces.

I have two seagate 500gb externals that are super easy to use and have never even hiccuped on me...all my pics and music is safe away from drops, magnets and crashes. i use two in order to have a constant backup and a double redundant back up of the previous save...ie...I alternate between the two fro saves so one is the most current and the other is the week before...

I would also say you might want to looking into the line of solid state drives that are coming out...that is some awesome technology and it is going into laptops pretty soon if not already.

cheers and post some videos already :D

i like to spear fish

• Good point. I have a Backup hard drive too. They are a necessity today.

X2 on the Videos its snowing up here in Atlanta. I cant wait to get back home tomorrow.

• Well, hopefully I'll come back from Tobago with some good footage. I leave next Thursday. I'll be sure to post it up. LB - good tip on the external HD. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal on one. Thanks for all the advice.

• OK. Is it my turn to ask a computer question?
    I plan on starting to do A LOT of UW HD video. I am in the water 4-8 hours a day, aprox 150days a year.
    I have a 1 yr old Toshiba Satellite laptop now, running Vista.
    I am computer challenged. I am considering buying a new laptop that I want to use as an almost dedicated HD video and stills laptop. Is this a safer choice than using say external hard drives for the HD video and stills?
    Any constructive assistance and opinions is greatly appreciated :toast:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• I would say its probably cheaper and easier to just use an external drive. You can get large capacity drives for around 100$. you can even get more than one like Lunker suggested for much less than the cost of en entire new machine. Its also a simpler choice to use an external drive. In a laptop if any of the parts break you wont be able to get to your info. (more parts=more potential problems) External drives are fairly reliable and they make some that are designed to take a beating and can travel well. If your computer can handle the video than stick with that.

850$(new comp) - 100 to 200 (External drive(s)) = 650 to 750 (new gun:D)