Jul 7/2007 Hog and Mackerels

• I was a guest on this boat and taken to a nice little reef. Got four Mackerels one being of good size, a mutton, a dog snapper and a hog. The hog was big for what I usually get here, I've been seeing too many little hogs lately. It was my last fish of the day, just as I was thinking that I've seen no hogs all day and considering the other fish I got a good hog would top off the day nicely. I was having trouble equalizing for about an hour and was reluctant to descend when I saw this decent size fish moving along a ledge on the bottom. There were many good sized parrots and the bottom looked hazy at 25'. Having considered my equalization problem I decided to let it go and just then I noticed something about the tail and thought "oh shit, it's a hog". So I dove on him but it was late as he was on the go. I kept after him on the bottom, the fish never giving me a broadside, and was coming to the end of my air. I took a shot when he did one of those body swings and skewered his left side. He shook off the spear and took off.

As I was ascending I kept an eye on his direction, by the time I surfaced I lost sight but saw there was one of those wavy sea plants in the direction he was going. Then I realized the flopper was stuck on the bottom. This is the closest I came to crying underwater, I really wanted that fish. If I descend to free the spear I will lose my bearings in the shitty vis and any chance of recovering the hog. So keeping an eye on where the plant was, I started doing the yo yo thing with the shooting line and losing my patience fast. Then the spear broke loose. Quick reload and swim over to where the hog might be. Breath up, dive and there he is looking disoriented, I got a stone shot this time. It felt good to know he was mine.