• I am considering buying a GoPro and wanted to get some feedback. Is it worth the money? How easily are stills taken from the video? I have found a few waterproof cameras that do both stills and video for similar price; not sure they have the same depth rating as the GP case though. But anyway..

pros....

cons...

Judah, thoughts on yours?

Thanks. :thumbsup2:

• Gopro stills are no good IMO, the image is too distorted towards the edges of the frame, I think this effect is called fish eye. I wouldn't want any of my important still pics taken with a gopro. However the video quality/compactness/versatility/price of the Gopro is hard to beat http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/34-underwater-cameras

• I enjoy my GoPro, but keep in mind, there will be additional expenses: an upgraded housing or lens (the standard housing doesn't work well in water); an SDHC card (about $40); mounts for your gun, head, or however you choose to use it. And now there's the LCD display.

And don't forget, any camera using 1080 is going to be a hog on your PC when editing video.

With that said, I really enjoy the toy!

Here are some of my videos:
    www.youtube.com/ocfreediver

• I actually find the screen grabs from the gopro great. I guess it is in the beholder and the application. I think it is the best spearing for the cost. The contour hd seems great but w a functional uw case it comes to like 750$.

i like to spear fish

• Dan I think the effect your describing might be called vignetting? Im really interested in this camera and will most likely be getting one this summer when I get home.

Shallow Runner your basically asking for an impossibility, trying to balance video quality, price, size, picture quality, and do it all underwater. If its small it can take either decent video OR decent stills. If you want both then you need a bigger more advanced sensor. This also means more expensive. You can get a Cannon like the T1 or T2 put it in a 3000$ case and get great pics and video but this isnt small or cheap. From what Ive seen the gopro is the best compact HD camera that is cheap and works well underwater. If you want good stills there are the SeaLife cameras that take great stills and work underwater pretty well.

There is also the option Judah described which is to capture a "screenshot" from the video. This works and will avoid the vignetting but will not yield a very good pic and wont allow you to blow up the image too much.

These conclusions are from my experience with still photography above water so take them with a grain of salt. I am by no means an expert and I dont have any experience with the actual gopro camera.

Good Luck, If theres a better tool for the job I hope someone brings it up. :toast:

• Thanks guys, I am probably going to get the GP but I figured it had been out long enough that there would be a solid opinion. I am not in need of having stills blown up so as long as they can be captured with at least decent quality that will display on my computer well then I am good with that; just trying to avoid buyers remorse. What is the issue with the original cases? leaks?

Dan, if I decide to get one do you have them where I can pick it up from you or do they need to be ordered? I have a few kayak camping/fishing trips coming up and wanted to get one in the next few weeks if I go that way.

• My bad Dan your right. Dan can you elaborate on what Judah said?

"The original case has terrible resolution underwater?

Shouldn't that be fixed with the new lens or is there something else Im missing?

• The flat lens that I sell, that's included free with a purchase of the Gopro HD Hero naked, solves the Gopro underwater focus problem. I'm not sure what Judah is talking about, there are a couple of cameras discussed here.

• The flat lens that I sell, that's included free with a purchase of the Gopro HD Hero naked, solves the Gopro underwater focus problem.

Had I known! That's the most cost-effective solution; I paid about another $100 for my housing. Great deal, Dan!