Gyotaku- Fish printing

• This is thread based on Dan's comment

I'm thinking of making me a fish stamp. It's a more respectful way of keeping a trophy than having a mount made......

I completely agree with Dan and got into the art for exactly that reason, so I could preserve my catch and eat it too :D

I am an amateur at this but the basic method for it is simple...clean the slime off the fish, dry the fish, paint the fish, press a paper onto the fish, remove, let dry

that is the WAYYY over simplified version, but it gives us a starting point.

for starters, materials-
    i use rice paper and soy paint
    I have heard of guys using all sorts or paper from butcher paper to construction paper to bulk banner paper, I like the rice paper but have never used anything else.

the soy paint because i will be eating the fish after.

step one- either using a butter knife rubbing with the scales or liberally sprinkling salt and then rubbing it off, remove the fish slime coat and dry the fish...this is super crucial

many will use cardboard, sponge and pins to hold the fins away from the body and make the ornamental flairs stand up, this enhances the print but is a more advanced move

mix the paint and water to thin it slightly ( not all paint will need to be thinned, experiment) then using a brush, sponge or finger, paint the fish...there are pros and cons to all the methods, i hope a better printer will add their thoughts

once the fish is painted, starting at the highest point of the fish lay your paper on the fish, following the contours of the fish down it's body as you go with your fingers....do not push or move the paper, just tap it into place...i use a small pencil's eraser for the tight spots like gill plates or eyes.

carefully remove the print and let dry...

I make a few from each fish so I can get better as I am a total newb

this is a picture that shows one of my first prints...sorry it is not such a great pic..please add better pics as you share you gyotaku skills and tips

i like to spear fish

• very nice Ry..you have the face down pat...I think that is the hardest part to do well, nice.

i also should add that the spear wound is the coolest part of any gyotaku :D I have tried to do the wound in red but I am not good with multiple colors yet.

any tips or tricks you have learned Ry?

i like to spear fish

• I clean the fishing using rubbing alcohol and paper towels, and I also dry it using a space heater on high. The fins will flare without the pins once dry.

I use banner paper to save money, but thicker rice paper is the best for capturing detail and retaining wet strength. Also, you can see your progress as you press. With the banner paper you're in the dark until you lift.

I clean with alcohol afterwards too, good for getting rid of the calligraphy ink. Clean the cutting board every few minutes to avoid having black filets. Black filets are perfectly edible ( depending on the ink) but not as visually appealing.

Alex

• Luckily one of my buddies is great at gyotaku... so I've bribed him with sushi & beer to print ~10 of my fish for me. :)

http://www.okutake.com/gyotaku/main.php?g2_itemId=2982
    http://www.okutake.com/gyotaku/main.php?g2_itemId=1550
    http://www.okutake.com/gyotaku/main.php?g2_itemId=1558

On queue for this year is a wahoo I shot last summer. :D

I also have one from Naoki Hayashi (gyotaku.com) & one from Shane Hamamoto.

As for my own printing, I've done dozens... but I'm a consummate perfectionist & fish printing is so much of an organic art form. As such... I'm too embarrassed to share any of my personal prints. :(