Rigging question - shark fin tabbed shafts

• Just replaced my pinned shafts with shark fin tabbed shafts and have a question. I'm attaching the shooting line to the second tab (there are 2). Should I make the loop big enough to go past the first tab (they're pretty close together)? In other words, the first tab would sit inside the loop when the line is wrapped. Or, should I make the loop small enough so that the crimp sits behind the first tab? I have 2 bands on this gun and will be using both tabs. These are Riffe shafts, approximately 168cm. Thanks.

Edited once, last by nyspear ().

• That doesn't sound right. The shooting line attachment hole is usually in the forward tab, so obviously it shouldn't go over any other tab. But if for some reason you have the hole in the rear tab, do not run the loop over the forward tab because when you load the band on the forward tab you'll pin the loop down and this may cause a problem.

• :ashamed: Sorry, you're right. I really need to get some sleep. The hole is in the forward tab. My question should have been - should the loop be big enough to go around the second tab after the shaft leaves the gun? Or should I just make sure that the crimp can't contact the second tab?

• Even if you make the loop that big, it is unlikely to go around the second tab reliably. Just make the loop big enough to go around the fin tip of the tab you are attached to and not too much more.

• Even if you make the loop that big, it is unlikely to go around the second tab reliably. Just make the loop big enough to go around the fin tip of the tab you are attached to and not too much more.

That makes sense. I'm still learning this stuff as I go. Thanks Jim and Dan for your replies.

• Another good idea is to pass the shooting line of that area through a piece of plastic tubing, so it doesn´t wear out so fast. that is a stress point in the whole set up.

Thanks, Antonio. Just found some and placed an order :thumbsup5:

• Great! be sure to get the right diameter, so it could pass through the tab hole! In order to get the s. line to the other side of the tube I just cut the end in a triangle shape.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Great! be sure to get the right diameter, so it could pass through the tab hole! In order to get the s. line to the other side of the tube I just cut the end in a triangle shape.

Yep, this is what this stuff is specifically made for, so I'm assuming it'll fit. Thanks for the advice.