• So for the time i've been in the water, i along with others have named the long snout, finger licking fish a Hogfish. Today i got in a discussion with a friend who said it was called a Hog Snapper. I looked in books with no luck to neither of the names. I even looked in the NC fishing regulations which even puts it as a different species, and calls it Hogfish. Any info?

• I've heard hog snapper before. Of course it's erroneous as the name is not based on anything, the hogfish is a wrasse. I believe it was introduced to in an attempt to give the hogfish commercial value. Even people who don't know much about fish know that snapper is good to eat.

• I've heard hog snapper before. Of course it's erroneous as the name is not based on anything, the hogfish is a wrasse. I believe it was introduced to in an attempt to give the hogfish commercial value. Even people who don't know much about fish know that snapper is good to eat.

Jah!

my ex lady freinds poppa was from panama and he called it a featherfin snapper.. regardless its a wrasse as dan said and the name snapper is most likely a moniker that makes its quality as a food fish widely known.

also you dont see cuban hogfish (red and yellow) called cuban hog snapper, or puerto rican hogfish (purple and yellow) called puertorican hogsnapper, because in the U.S they are considered tropicals and illegal to harvest for food.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!