Barracuda incounter part two

• I just tested my new Buechat Pacific reel today and shot a +5' barry which sped off with line in about 8' of water. There were about 8-13 of them in a school averaging 5 feet long.The barry ended up plucking my line loose by the crimp which ties to the shaft. I use 1.7mm crimps with 1.4mm 200ft lb test mono. I ended up loosing my brand new pursuit shaft I just bought and wouldn't like it reoccurred, so could someone relate to me what could have happened why my crimp failed.

• Make sure you use the right crimp for the mono you're using, also do not crimp the sleeve too close to the edge because it will cut thru the mono, leave the edge of the crimp flared. I use the long figure eight sleeve and put three crimps on it starting at the center and then one on each side of it staying away from the edge, use the right crimping tool and burn the edge of the mono into a little ball to resist slipping. It's hard to tell what happen to you without a picture of the end of your shooting line where it broke/slip???

• Can you post a pic of the crimps you used and where exactly the line broke?

my camera took a crap on my a couple days ago, but the line was pulled through a tightly squeezed crimp. I was wondering if the crimp was too small or what? I was considering using two crimps next time, back to back, after the shaft. What do you think. Here is a link to the crimps I have:
    http://www.scubasworld.com/proddetail.php?prod=doublecoppersleeves&cat=100

• You're using the correct style crimps but I can't tell if you're using the right size for your mono. BTW Pursuit will soon have crimps in the store.

Everything Billy said is dead on.

Additionally I would use good 400lb mono like this http://freedivingspearfishingg…/56-momoi-400lb-mono.html Inferior mono stretches too much, becomes thin and slides through the crimp cutting itself in the process. Use the right size crimps for the mono, and crimp at the right setting of the crimping tool. You don't need two crimps. Done right no cuda should be able to break the line.

• Make sure you use the right crimp for the mono you're using, also do not crimp the sleeve too close to the edge because it will cut thru the mono, leave the edge of the crimp flared. I use the long figure eight sleeve and put three crimps on it starting at the center and then one on each side of it staying away from the edge, use the right crimping tool and burn the edge of the mono into a little ball to resist slipping. It's hard to tell what happen to you without a picture of the end of your shooting line where it broke/slip???

If you follow everything as stated you would rip the cuda in half before loosing a shaft due to mono failure.

• Do you burn the end of the mono into a little ball?
    Before crimping, hold a lighter to the free end of the mono and melt it into a little ball.

Davie Peguero