Bye-bye winter

• Finally managed to get out for the first time this year after a very long nasty winter. It was great to finally get back in the water and the conditions were stellar!

NOAA had it completely wrong with their forecast...it was gorgeous and never got over 2' while we were out. The water temps ranged from 65 to 70 and the viz was 50-70'.

I was hoping to get a nice AJ to fill the freezer and then work out a limit of mangroves with a cobia or two for good measure. At least the AJs cooperated; they wouldn't leave us alone all day:thumbsup2:

Never saw a mangrove over 12" and never even saw a cobe. I did manage another type of Jack, which was a first for me; a Black Jack. Discussion over this fish (with photos) in the general/fish species section. Neat looking fish. I plan on having a friend of mine print it for me (Gyotaku) There is just something about the Jack species that intrigue me. I think Jack Crevalles are one of the coolest looking fish in the GOM, but that's just me:rolleyes1:

I also got to finally try my new gun; A Poseidensub BW 150. What an awesome gun! It doesn't swing well, the gun really needs to be pointed in the right direction, but I have never shot a gun so smooth; absolutely no felt recoil:thumbsup2: Shooting this gun requires technique. It's not hard, but it definitely needs to be thought out. There is no "snap shooting" with this gun. Thanks Steve; you are the man:toast2:

• ...and a 150cm is a beast of a gun :D

Especially when it's a rear-handled gun that weighs 9 lbs:@

In the water, the gun is neutrally bouyant with the shaft in. It suspends itself perfectly on a horizontal plane. Effortless to hold in the water. It has to be pulled in to the chest and manuvered with the off-hand to swing; and then extended to take a shot.

• Dude that's a monster gun. I guess you were hoping for tuna.

Yes, we were. We actually ran out to the tuna grounds and got there a bit later than we wanted to. The fish were deep in the water column. We tried to chum them up with out any luck. Shot a couple of barracuda with the new gun for chum before we ran out there. Didn't want to get out there without knowing how the gun was going to handle and shoot;)

• glad you liked the gun john, it does take effort to swing a 68'' rear handle gun. the best way to do it is to swim the butt in the direction you want to point the muzzle (the muzzle stays stationary while the butt is moved) instead of trying to point the gun by turning the handle. it does take a certain amount of practice but in clear water where you see the target coming from a distance it's great, if the viz is not that good and you need to turn the gun quickly a mid handle is best.

lets see some tuna blood on it.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo