• I've eaten many fish. I'm a foreigner thoug. It looks like crevaile, but the color is not as dark. Maybe was properly bleeded. Could also be bonito, which I love in sashimi, but bonito is always dark, no matter if bleeded or not.

What is it?

EDIT: I wrote this without knowing your answer. I'm a good guesser... :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Next time, fillet it very thin, batter and deep fry it. You're gonna love it! Is one of the few fish my wife still eats. Squeeze some lime juice over it and open a nice cold beer.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thanks Marco. That sounds great! And, yes everything always tastes better with a squeeze of lime and a nice cold beer!:toast2:

• who care what it is, it looks yummy.

most people in california wont eat bonita but i think it makes fantastic sashimi, to each his own.

Thats exactly why I want to know what it is...so I can eat a tasty looking fish.
    DUH!
    :crazy:

• John what was your process? Bleed brain and gill as soon as shot. The some freezer time? Any extra steps?

Yes, that is paramount. A few other things...NEVER get any freshwater on the fish. You would be surprised how dry a fish actually is while processing, if you gill and gut immediately. Not a lot of mess when filleting.

Cut out ALL the red meat. When making cuts the meat needs to be cut right. Separate the muscle groups. I then wrap the prepared piece in very absorbant paper towels. White only, no color prints. You don't want the dye getting into the meat. Place the bundles into a sealable plastic bags and let sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This process gets most of the water out of the meat, which is really what causes damage when freezing. Water expeands when frozen an tears apart the meat, often making it mushy.

If you are concerned about parasites, I would say don't eat it:D Use the top shoulder area only. This area is the least prone to parasites. Most parasites occur in the meat around the gut cavity and in the tail.

Use a sharp knife and cut the fish opposing the grain. Setting the fish in the freezer for 30-60 minutes before cutting really helps, especially on fish with softer flesh.