Other fish out there besides seabass...

• [quote='Stephan','http://spearfishing.world/forums/index.php?thread/&postID=49527#post49527']Thanks Fuzz: That clears things up a bit. The bigger of the rock fish I saw was actually hovering next to a kelp stock about two to three feet off the bottom. All the others were on rocks. The only reason I paid any note to it is it was the first time I can recall seeing these fish in a spot I had dove several times before and never seen any.

Thanks.[/QUOT

Steve, I believe you are referring to Sugar or Jonny bass. I could be mistaken, but that's what we call them and they are tasty. I've just stabbed them a few times instead of shooting cause they are so dumb. They taste as good as they are dumb too:crazy:

Haha. My first thought when I saw them was, "oh look a sugar bass" but I was pretty confident that that's just what the deck hands call them (Sounds more appetizing than Rock fish) and I didn't want to get laughed off the forum for calling them that. This is the first time I've seen them there, do you see them pretty regularly? Despite being tasty I still don't think I'll shoot any until my WSB taste has been satisfied.

• Definitely a Brown rockfish. It's a little hard to make out from the photo, but you can see a brown patch on the edge of the operculum, which is a good diagnostic characteristic. I also like to look at the dorsal spines; browns tend to have more deeply incised dorsal spines than grassies or kelp RF's.

• Definitely a Brown rockfish. It's a little hard to make out from the photo, but you can see a brown patch on the edge of the operculum, which is a good diagnostic characteristic. I also like to look at the dorsal spines; browns tend to have more deeply incised dorsal spines than grassies or kelp RF's.

Thanks for the verification. :)

My first instinct was a brown, mainly because the operculum spot, eyes, & mouth... but the pic quality made me second guess myself.

• Nice Haul Alex, I love rockfish. I don't shoot the kelp rockfish though, they just sit there and I feel bad for them. I like browns and grass rockfish though, yummmmmm. Olive rockfish are yellow/greenish and have distinct spots on their back, we usually get a lot of those down here in southern california. I don't know enough of the difference between the reds so I leave those alone down here.