good knives

• This is my favorite knife but a little on the stiffer side.

10" Calcutta breaking knife. $20, but very good knife to clean fish. Really soft & comfortable non-slip handle and the blade isn't too stiff. I cleaned and filleted a #100 yellowfin tuna very easily with this knife. For the price, you can't go wrong.

• I don't know squat about good knives, but I'll pass this on. I have two Dexter Russells. The first is the 8" "Traditional" fillet knife. The one with the real simple wood handle and carbon steel blade. The second is the 7" "Basic" fillet knife, with the white handle and stainless blade. (Not to be confused with the "Sani-safe" series.)
    The traditional knife has a thin medium soft blade. It was razor sharp when I got it, and holds an edge well. The basic knife, which ran around $14, including shipping, has a thicker, stiffer blade. To my surprise, it was dull right out of the package, is a bear to sharpen, and doesn't hold an edge well.
    Clearly two different steels, and two different qualities of products.
    I believe the sani-safe series is of higher quality than the basic series though. Don't know how it compares to the traditional.
    Ron.

• just to update, I picked up a dexter 7" sani safe handle fillet knife, it makes life so much easier when cleaning fish and has been holding an edge well