PFI course in Belize June 23-26

• Hank, I'm sure you know that I enjoy your posts, and this thread is no exception, so let there be no misunderstanding. I just have a different opinion that I offer here, perhaps in a blunt manner but in no way directed at anyone personally or meant to offend.

Most times, in any skill or profession, when someone thinks they know it all already, they're going to get their butt handed to them soon.

Agreed, but I don't feel I know it all when it comes to diving and spearfishing. I just feel that what I need to learn will be revealed to me at the right time in a non artificial diving environment.

Have you ever blacked out? Have you seen someone black out? Do you know the rescue procedure for a blackout?

I've never blacked out but on a couple of occasions felt I might have been close. I've only seen guys black out in videos. My instinctive reaction would be to get the blackout victim to where they have access to air as fast as possible, that would include keeping their airways out of the water. Another instinctive reaction would be to slap them to get them breathing if they're not breathing. I've been told that blowing on the face will work, but guess what, if it doesn't work quick I'll be slapping them. I think at this point CPR knowledge that is specific to water rescues, such as what lifeguards learn, would be useful and it can be acquired for free.

Do you know the recommended surface intervals for various depth dives in order to safely recover?

Yes, when I feel comfortable to dive again, and this largely depends on diving conditions and how I'm performing on a given day. There is no set time for this, anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

Where do blackouts actually happen. Under water? On the surface?

A blackout can happen anywhere, it can happen tying your shoe laces just not very likely. It happens when you don't get enough oxygen, and that's enough for me to know.

What are the signs if your buddy is about to black out?

Any behavior that is different than than what a normal self aware diver would be exhibiting. If someone doesn't know what is normal diver behavior they really shouldn't be counting on a freediving course to teach them that. Knowing about small indications would not be worth much if you're not watching the diver closely. If you're watching closely you will always see when something is wrong. Anyone can recognize a passed out diver.

we learned about breathing up, relaxing and steamlining for more efficient dives.

Breathing up is something we all do at our own pace and style. That and streamlining for diving are very basic concepts. Some guys need to be told to go straight down rather than angle.

Don is correct. Someday on charters, a cert for free diving may be required.

I disagree, I just can't see commercial operators asking for certifications on snorkeling trips. It would be hard to draw the line between that and freediving on a serious level, although it can probably be done by a few select operators looking to reduce their risk/liability. But in the end spearfishing is always a risky activity so I don't know if it will do any good.

I think I said enough so I'll stay out of the rest of this discussion. One last thing, if there's a good realistic freediving course/geared towards spearfishing, I'll support and advocate it, even encourage it to advertise on the forum.

• The impression I have of these classes is that they go over what a blackout is/how it occurs/ how to avoid it type thing. They teach you about the CO2 build up in your body when holding your breath. Then you pull down a rope holding your breath for a day or two with no fins. And its almost 1000 smackers. I am not against such a class but the things they teach can be learned in a gradual pace on your own.
    (If there is more please correct me.)

In the past couple months I went from touching and going at 45 feet to waiting and catching fish at 85 feet and I want to be able to fish at 100 feet by years end.

I think Dan just expresses his views openly as someone who has become a good diver on his own (being self taught) and with years of experience.

:twocents:

• Dan, based on what you just posted, I honestly feel you would benefit from the course.
    You're right, the art of performance free diving to set record depths, which is what Kirk clearly states that he will be teaching in the course, is not the same as spearfishing. Daryl Wong pointed that out to me when he was strongly recommending the course last Aug. He''d been free diving and spearing for 40 years and said he learned a lot in the course.
    The breathing up and relaxing techniques that they teach are proven and will increase your breath hold time. Kirk has trained 7 world record holders. Mandy personally holds 7 world records.
    I don't know anything about your diving skills Dan, but I would bet that you don't come close to what Kirk can do. I watched him set an anchor at 128 feet with 2 min 28 sec total down time. For him, that's nothing.
    They don't teach any single "magic bullet". It's a package of a lot of things that leads to better dive technique, and I don't think you can argue that they certainly have technique mastered since they do this for record depth and time.
    We talked about the difference in spearfish diving. I went out right after the course with the same weights that I used in the course. I felt I could hardly get down to 40 feet holding the gun and looking for the fish as I went down. So, add a little weight. Adjust. No big deal.
    We did practice simulated rescues numerous times over three days. It was all good.
    The only reference to spearfishing in the course was that we may increase our bottom times about our normal hunting depths and that there is a very high mortality rate, making it the single most dangerous sport there is. And mostly because divers aren't aware of what can happen and have lousy buddy skills.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• If I haven't had a good dive mentor, I've had taken a freediving course. Not now.

But I agree with those who take them. Just be VERY careful as you will be diving at depts you wouldn't have reached in years of experience.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• i am going to take one of the classes soon and plan to report my experiences to you guys as well but I will say this, when I started diving I was a good swimmer and extremely comfortable in and underwater. I could hold my breath for about a minute and 15 seconds static and could touch the sand in 25 on my first day out but not stay down at all.

that was about 5 years ago, I do not have much access to deep water as I am primarily a shore diver, but I think the exposure to depth adds the ability at depth. Today I can hold my breath for about 3 minutes static but I can regularly stalk and aspetto for 30-50 seconds at 40-50 ft. I am not a great diver, in fact I am not even a good diver. But I have never felt scared on an ascent or been dizzy or seeing stars. I am extremely judicious about my limits and i dont push at all. I think this is why I havent gotten SO much better in five years....take it for what it is, just one man's experience, but i look forward to trying things in a nenvironment where i can push myself safely...I dont anticipate changing my whole lifestyle and bumming mad boat rides to hunt 80ft wrecks, but Istill look forward to the lessons.

knowing full well that I might find it a waste of time, I have never regretted learning any skills, even the ones I seldom use

i like to spear fish

• As everything in life it can be learned eventually on your own by trial and error, this applies to dancing, playing an instrument, math, science, surgery, and anything else you can think of.
    all classes do is reduce the learning period by taking the best practices and eliminating errors already committed by others. If you are new to free diving or if you want to improve your skills both PFI an FII are great options. of course if your diving buddy is pipin or someone like that then you don't need the class but for the rest of us its a good way to reduce the learning curve.

• Dan,
    There are differences in the various courses offered by PFI, FII, Will Trubridge, Apnea Academy, SSI,.Immersion ,etc And even within one program instructors have different styles and emphasis. Dan Silvera, an outstanding spearo, and FII instructor has the ability to tailor a course aimed at hunting. Sheri Daye and Daryl Wong have instructed for PFI.
    In my own coaching , we work on technique and conditioning. I only work with advanced divers and do not teach any safety or basic skills. Watching a video of your finning can greatly improve your kick when you see the mistakes you are making. I have been training 20 spearfishers this year and they have all said the conditioning and technique work have greatly improved their hunting skills. Besides that, we have a lot of fun and have established a strong network of divers, boats, and resources.

• Since our water time in Minnesota is cut almost in half from what most of you guys enjoy, it seemed to me a good option and there was no way I was passing up the deal that we were presented with. Most of you guys are lucky and get to dive 12 months a year with the pressures of deeper diving, we get half that and maybe some pool time during the winter. I partially want to take the course so that other guys feel more comfortable diving with me. It's a cheap investment IF it helps save someone. Some of these guys are right though, using some common sense while diving goes a long way.

• I just remembered that both PFI (I think through Immersion) and FII offer a short course that only goes into the safety component of the training - for example, how to deal with a black out. For those that aren't interested in pushing themselves from a diving standpoint or think that the diving isn't applicable to what they do, but are interested in the safety aspect of freediving/spearfishing, this could be a good option. I think I read that FII's safety course is only $125.