Florida Permit Regulations

• I recently spent two days diving the keys and was made aware of some differences in the Permit regulations down there and in South Florida compared to the rest of the state. I think it's important for us as divers to comply with these regs as the ability to harvest these fish is certainly a positive for our sport. I've attached a link for these NEW regulations that went into effect August 31st 2011. Notice that their exists a closure for areas in the SPZ (Monroe and South Florida).

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/permit/

• Updated: August 31, 2011

In June 2011, The Commission amended the rule for permit, Florida pompano and African pompano in order to provide increased protection for these important species. In the past, there were no regulations for these fish in federal waters adjacent to Florida. The recreational rule amendments primarily establish recreational regulations in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.

These rules create separate management strategies for each species. The combined bag limit for Florida pompano and permit were split into separate bag limits, and the size limits for each species were changed.

The new rules also create two separate management areas in Florida for permit. The Special Permit Zone (SPZ) lies in south Florida, encompassing waters south of Cape Florida on the Atlantic coast and south of Cape Sable on the Gulf coast. The regulations for permit in the SPZ are more restrictive to protect spawning aggregations of permit as well as large permit that support the trophy fishery in the Keys. The remainder of Florida (north of Cape Florida and Cape Sable) makes up the other permit management area.

The recreational regulations in the chart below apply in Florida state and federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic unless otherwise noted.

Recreational regulations for state and federal waters effective August 31, 2011

Permit inside SPZ

22" fork length

May 1 - July 31 Closure

1 per harvester per day

State waters: Hook and line only; Federal waters: Hook and line and spearing

Vessel limit: no more than 2 permit per vessel

Permit in all other waters

Not less than 11" or more than 22" fork length

2 per harvester per day

State waters: Hook and line only; Federal waters: Hook and line and spearing

May possess 1 over 22" included in the per person bag limit. Vessel limit: no more than 2 over 22" per vessel

Florida pompano

11" fork length

6 per harvester per day

Hook and line, cast net, and beach or haul seine

African pompano

24" fork length

2 per harvester per day

State waters: hook and line only; Federal waters: Hook and line and spearing

Vessel limit: no more than 2 African pompano per vessel

• wow interesting. thanks rolo. that totally changes things especially in the closed months in the keys, cuz those are the times that I mainly spear the keys. How'd you do this weekend? Were u with emil and JC?

• . How'd you do this weekend? Were u with emil and JC?

We did real well, particularly on Sunday. Limited out on Blacks, shot some muttons and Jason Wetmore shot a nice Cubera. I went out with Ed Walker and Jason. Hope you doing well.