Odd Tarpon behavior

• I have dove this spot many times and always see big tarpon...well almost always and the one time i didnt I saw two small Bulls...but I have seen them do a strange dance where they swim like six and seven across and seem to just line their mouths up next to one another, they are quite brazen like this too often allowing me to get close enough to touch.

anyone know about the behavior? didn't seem like mating to me.

here are a few vids of the area and the tarpon, i havent caught the behaviour on film yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFu547-uVDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLHSliYdOto

i like to spear fish

• I am not keen on their behaviors but I (and think we) have seen them out there several times swimming around. I was shocked that I was able to get close enough to touch them on a few occasions. But I have noticed them doing a lot of chasing or what I am guessing is play behavior on the rocks there. Cool vids bro.

• Judah, I have been able to touch tarpon up here where we dove and down in key largo. I'm guessing they just don't feel any danger from people and don't really care if we get close. I have never seen the behavior you describe.

I was going to ask you where those boulders are but I guess I'll just mapquest the street. Do you see many fish there or is it just a neat bottom structure to dive?

• it is really shallow and quite close to the shore so I have never found any shootable fish, HOWEVER, i have seen the only two octopuses I have ever seen in the wild on those boulders as well as more unique sealife than most of the other places i have had the pleasure to dive.big rays and eels etc

I never pass a chance to at least hit them up to see what's home.

i like to spear fish

• it is really shallow and quite close to the shore so I have never found any shootable fish, HOWEVER, i have seen the only two octopuses I have ever seen in the wild on those boulders as well as more unique sealife than most of the other places i have had the pleasure to dive.big rays and eels etc

I never pass a chance to at least hit them up to see what's home.

Hey Lunker

I found these boulders quite literally by accident the last week when I was out swimming on the first reef line. As I was coming back in, I swam over them, so I hung out there for a while. I saw lots of fish life like you were talking about and 1 tarpon and I remember you talking about these boulders from seeing this post awhile back.

And I did see a few tarpon as I was swimming back in to shore.

Edited once, last by Hardline ().