ever wonder why?

• i don't spend much time on forums anymore, mostly because i don't have the time but when i have a free moment i still like to see what everyone is up to.

when i do go on, i'm reminded of the other reason i don't visit much any more. why is it that some people have to be such dicks on forums? is it a competitive thing like who kills more and bigger fish? is it a cliquish thing where only the cool kids could hang? or it the the anonymity of being hidden behind a keyboard that brings out the worst in some people?

i'm not sure what it is but there are places that behavior like that is, at least, tolerated if not encouraged. then there are forums that people seem to be more civil, medfish run by our friend and new member memoa is one and this is another.

like the saying goes, "shit rolls down the hill", it's up to whoever is at the top running the place to set policy and tone. maybe some forums are too big to be controlled so it could be the guy running the joint missed something but i doubt it.

where i'm i going with this you say? i just want to say how refreshing it is to get on here and not have all the drama and for that i want to say, thanks dan.:toast:

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• Good or bad one of the things I notice more here is that there are less noobs. A lot of the drama starts with younger guys who are just getting into spearing and asking what fish they just shot is etc or not showing respect to the guys who really put in the time to find the answers. Another huge problem with the other board was the long feud between a couple of the mods and a few members of clubs, as ladvr put it the feuds were good for traffic and revenue.

Everyone has their own opinion and should feel free to disagree, however there should be tack and respect given and when this is out of hand it is up to the mods/owners to fix it.

• Thanks Steve.

Speaking from my 3 years of experience administrating, one major practical reason for being able to maintain the tone of this forum is the small doorway that forces everyone to lower their stature to be able to come in http://spearfishing.world/foru…rs-introduction-post.html without which we'd have 10 times the membership we do now. Fortunately I found a way to automate the process otherwise at this point it would be impossible/too time consuming to keep up. Another reason is clear vision about who's a good fit for this community, and decisiveness about losing whoever is not, regardless of the negative impact on the business side. Finally there's the support of a few members who I turn to for moral guidance when I'm in doubt, you know who you are.