Float Line Vs. Reel

• You don't control a fish using a reel. You use your hands. The reel is a "Line storage device". It takes 2 minutes to spool the line once the shaft is removed from the fish. Overall, if you spool your floatline oftenly to keep your float close to you (as I do), you spend much more time doing it than spooling your reel after each shot.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Overall, if you spool your floatline oftenly to keep your float close to you (as I do), you spend much more time doing it than spooling your reel after each shot.

Curious about this. Why would you spool a float line? If I want my float close to me I use a tuna clip to attach it to the floatline. Am I doing something wrong?

Mike

• Mike, from post #5

The other thing that float line users (especially tube type float line users) fail to do is gather up and coil the float line while on the surface in between dives. The benefits coiling the float line are; When it's time for the next dive you let loose the coiled float line and you have zero drag on your descent as opposed to dragging your float on the surface the whole distance. You eliminate a long trailing float line which can cause foul ups with fellow divers. The motions of gathering up the float line into a coil are relaxing and provide a rhythm for your breath up which times and prepares you for the next dive.