First post MLPA dive

• short report. Surgy, but patches had patches of 20-30ft vis yesterday. Big calicos out... 100s over legal, 2 that were 2-3lbs and 2 that were 4-5lbs, +100 female sheephead, 5 small males, 1 10lber, 1 15lber, all of which I pass on.

Its always hard for me to pull the trigger the first half of the year, maybe its the cold, maybe its the full freezer!:thumbsup2:

• Only video I have is a little timelapse test video I made later that day. I was really surprised at how many sheephead I saw with Josh. They were everywhere. Mostly small females, but I'm sure I could have taken my limit of sheephead if I wanted. Filleting Fish Timelapse - YouTube

What I re-learned on this dive..... never use 3 bands on a cabezon! It caused me to brake another tip on the rocks :)

• JBL tips always break off when shot in the rocks for some reason?!?

I'd suggest you get a flopper shaft for that gun and rig it up like mako does on the closed mussle.

Instructional Information

I want a flopper shaft for that gun, but I'm too cheap :D

I'm just going to grab whatever tip I can find at home and stick that on the gun

• those cheap old school jbl double flopper are garbage for hunting ont he rocks. when hole hunting i use a 5 prong, when hunting big game i use the warhead (which is awesome) and for everything in between i prefer a regular old flopper shaft (as opposed to a flopper tip). the only thing the flopper tips are good for in my opinion is shooting halibut in the sand. the bvreak away double flopper is great for this, however the 5 prong is even better...

• ??? But you broke it off below the thread I though? or was it still above the thread?

Above the thread. The tip snapped in half where the double flopper pin was.

those cheap old school jbl double flopper are garbage for hunting ont he rocks. when hole hunting i use a 5 prong, when hunting big game i use the warhead (which is awesome) and for everything in between i prefer a regular old flopper shaft (as opposed to a flopper tip). the only thing the flopper tips are good for in my opinion is shooting halibut in the sand. the bvreak away double flopper is great for this, however the 5 prong is even better...

Agreed. This is my second double flopper JBL tip I've broken on the rocks. Next gun I buy or make is just going to be the basic flopper shaft option. And after hearing of how well you've done with a 5 prong I've already added that to my wishlist.

• I just have a flopper that is a centimeter away from the tip for my halibut gun. Toggles every time.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• A double flopper Brett? IF not it will pull out if your not careful.

I highly recommend getting a 5 prong tip for halibut specific dives and will never be confused as a hooked device when doing combo dives.

• I disagree... A slip-tip is the way to go... the thin JBL polespear sliptips are dope and penetrate with ease. I don't want to run into a 20lb hali with only a 5 prong!

• I disagree... A slip-tip is the way to go... the thin JBL polespear sliptips are dope and penetrate with ease. I don't want to run into a 20lb hali with only a 5 prong!

Well if its 6 inches plus thick your slip tip isn't gonna toggle and then your screwed! Shoot it in the head with a 5 prong and it will be doing the death quiver before you touch it.