Boat running over float line

• Let me see what I can come up with, maybe some photos. It is very simple and you can put a lot of fish on the boat - fast - with the setup. Learned it from some spearos who've been doing this for more than 35 years.

Blow by blow with pictures would be awesome, I think I have a inkling but not a clear idea of what you are trying to explain, I am always hungry to learn new techniques.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Ok, here's my description of our setup, works with or without a float. We use closed-muzzle guns but this will work with an open muzzle or fully-enclosed track gun, as well. Part one is to prepare the dyneema on the spear. We use 7-8' of line tied to the spear. We use this amount so that you have enough to pull the spear through the fish to brain it. Pass the dyneema through the line hole in the spear, tie a knot on each end and put to a flame to keep them from fraying.

Then join the dyneema to a nylon line that is at least 10' longer than the depth you are hunting (more if there is a strong current) using a triple sheet bend knot. This knot is very easy to untie in cases where it is easier to pass the spear through the fish to remove it.

• Part two is to create a roll with the nylon rope. These pics show a coil of 110'. You must start at the end closest to the spear by placing the rope as shown in the first picture. Continue to wrap the line until all is on your hand. I'm right handed so I wrap the rope on my left hand. Notice that there is a small overhand knot on the end. This will hold a buoy with a tuna clip to the line. Once the line is wrapped, undo the last two turns.

• Part three is to tie the roll. Scrunch the rope together into an oblong shape taking care that the end with the dyneema is on the bottom and the end of the nylon rope is on the top. Tie a double overhand knot to make a "head" on one end, then do the same on the other end. The end attached to the dyneema must come out the middle, between the two heads.

• Any excess nylon rope can be wrapped into the second head. Use this method if you are going without a buoy. The role can be tucked into the weight belt. Or, leave a couple of feet after the second head is complete and tie directly to a buoy. This keeps the buoy close to you and your line will feed out automatically as you dive. The first two pics are the front and back of the role (for use in a weight belt). The next pic is the spear on the gun with a role. You can have several spears set up and swap them out easily. The next pic is the gun rigged with a double wrap. Loop the roll around the handle and it hangs by itself, you can go hands-free. This is nice for getting back in the boat or if you need two hands while floating. The last pic is the rope we use. It's nylon and super tough. It does not stretch and it sinks, keeping it from tangling with you or the boat, or your buddy. The whole thing can be re-rolled in less time than it takes the boat to reposition for another drift dive. It can also be re-rolled in the water if you're diving without a boat.

Since this is a breakaway setup, you can also release your gun after a shot and let it float to the surface. This gives you two hands on a thick rope to keep the fish off a wreck or out of a ledge or cave. That's about it. Let me know if I can clear something up. Thanks, Rick

• So coil then with bitter end a couple of hitches one end and then a couple more hitches on the other end, I will have to try this as I dont understand how the working end plays out of the ball without tangling... I cant wait to see this in action as I think it is very cool... I wont get rid of my float lines(never had one sink that I rigged) but I love the simplicity of this.
    From the pictures I cant tell how much spectra(light line) you have on the gun but it seems like the shaft would get a lot of resistance pulling line from the rope ball? Maybe not a factor as you said you shoot in the 8 foot range.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Dude, yes the end tied to the spear feeds out between the two hitches. After you complete the roll with both hitches, you pull out enough nylon rope to rig for a double wrap (could be about 10' depending on the length of the gun). This "loosens" the inside of the roll making it easy for it to pay out. With the double wrap I have not noticed any degradation in range or any different requirements for aiming. Everything works normally. We put enough dyneema to go from the line hole on the spear, through the muzzle, and about halfway back down the barrel. This leaves enough line so that you can pull the spear through the fish (if needed) to use the tip to dispatch the fish. We kill all of our fish with the spear tip, whether it's still on or taken off the spear. We don't carry knives at all. Simplicity is best.