Boat running over float line

• I've always been curious about what happens when a boat runs over a float line. Does the line get wrapped up in the propeller or just gets snagged and released? Does the speargun tend to hit the diver, or worse if it was pointing backwards does it stab the diver? Are some materials used for float lines more likely to get snagged or wrapped up than others? Is the length of the float line and where the diver or float are relative to the point where the boat runs over it a factor in how bad the outcome is? Although it's never happened to me, logically there are much higher chances for a float line to get run over than the diver. Anyone who's had or heard of this happening please share the story.

• Never had it happen but id imagine it would spin up in the prop and make a mess. Unless I see a fish Im going to shoot whenever Im on the surface I make a habit of holding my gun by the barrel, guess if a boat hit my line id be able to let go of the gun quick enough. I can tell you if the boat spins my line up in their props and stops because of it Im gonna be on that boat like stink on shit...

• I can tell you if the boat spins my line up in their props and stops because of it Im gonna be on that boat like stink on shit...

yeah I'd be pretty pissed,, especially if you were shorediving,, what a hastle that would be.. and if you had one of those fancy expensive riffe float lines,.. sinking the boat would be the only logical retribution.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• It would be interesting to find out. I think it would depend heavily on what type of line you had. I would imagine its more difficult for a stiffer line to get tangled. Also, the amount of slack and the angle of the impact would play a big role. It would be interesting to test. lol. I would really hope that this doesnt happen too often. Im not sure which I would be more upset about, the fact that they ran so close to a diver in the water, or the fact that they ruined my gear.

• yeah I'd be pretty pissed,, especially if you were shorediving,, what a hastle that would be.. and if you had one of those fancy expensive riffe float lines,.. sinking the boat would be the only logical retribution.

OR, boat becomes the property of the affected diver. Either one works for me.

• Ive had my home made riffe line cut by a boat, clean cut felt a very small tug. Also very annoying when your boat driver is inexperienced and always drift into your float line as your going down for a dive. Also a cluster ~`~`~`~` when you have 3 divers with floats fishing together :rolleyes1:

• A inexperienced boat captain can get overwhelmed when you have multiple divers in the water with floatlines/ bungees. I have had my bungees run over by a twin screw boat and it aint pretty. It took 20 minutes in 5 foot seas to cut the bungees off the props. :@
    To avoid this it is important that you coach the boat captain before you get in the water. Instruct him to stay down wind and down tide at all times and never drive past your float. If the float is between the bow of the boat and the diver you are in good shape. If the boat is between the float and the diver you are going to have problems.... guaranteed. It is also important for the other divers to swim up current and up wind when another diver gets a fish on. The biggest cluster is when everybody swims over to see whats going on. Multiple divers, wind and float lines equals disaster. Experienced divers and dive partners know this and avoid this. Loosing your $300 Riffe bungee to a prop is something not worth repeating. I have done this several times in the early days and I could have avoided this if I explained to the captain what to look out for.
    A little trick I have learned is to stay with your float. Hold on to it when you are on the surface and make contact with it quickley when you return to the surface. This minimizes the cluster factor and it also minimizes the cluster of becoming tangled in the other divers floats and float lines.

• i have a friend that had it happen. a sport boat ran over his float line ,riped his gun out of his hands , he found the gun a day later after hours of searching
    phil

• One thing old commercial Cuban spearos taught me is to always coil your float line in your hand while surface swimming, it helps avoid the tangles and creates less drag on your dive.

• yeah I'd be pretty pissed,, especially if you were shorediving,, what a hastle that would be.. and if you had one of those fancy expensive riffe float lines,.. sinking the boat would be the only logical retribution.

Lucky me my POS floatline I made myself with the tubing sinks... :laughing3:

• I had a friend from Hawaii who had someone run over his float line. It ripped the gun out of his hand and ruined the float line. No harm to the boat though. The boat reimbursed him so it was all good.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• Had that happen to a friend while we were out in Delaware. The boat ran right over his float and floatline. He had to dive in order not to get run over himself. The floatline was cut by the prop and he dropped his gun when he felt the floatline pulling. Lost the gun, but got to keep the float.
    Not much you can do when guys that have been out drinking coors light all day are driving boats......

I was just happy that he was ok.

• I had a Mexican Ponguero run mine over on my last trip. Luckily I saw him coming in fast and started waving my gun in the air and yelling "ALTO!!!"

He put it in neutral just in time and my line just got wrapped up one turn in the prop. Never felt a thing. Lucky for me, it was a brand new 100' Neptonics float line...

:toast:

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT