Ever worked with Airedales ?

• Aaron, I read some more posts from that man who's website I gave you the link too. It appears he's very serious and has a lot of knowledge. One of those people who understand the heart of a dog. The airdale forum I initially gave you the link to is on his website, maybe belongs to him too. What a coincidence. I think this man is definitely a good starting point in the search for a good airdale.

Dan, I am going to do more follow up with this guy. I have another breeder in McNeal,Az. I am talking to , as well as the guy you referred me to. I talked to a breeder here in Oklahoma, things were going pretty well until I mentioned their intended purpose and then the whole conversation shut down. Seems they wanted no part of selling to an owner who wants to use the dogs as they were intended .

• It is the nature of people in dog forums to give a hard time to those who know their shit and speak out against commonly accepted stupidity. Here are a couple of Don's responses to such "criticisms" that I found checking out his posts.

In hopes of alleviating some of the tensions assocciated with many of my views, I thought maybe a bit of perspective would help. I have not only seen, but I have owned, raised, and worked dogs more than most. I have probably had 200 to 250 personal dogs, at least 120 litters, and seen over 1500 pups. I have 40+ dogs here right now. I have probably raised more pups than people writing books on how to raise pups. I have experamented with methods of doing so. I stay out of how to train methods pretty much because I am not interested in trained dogs. I am interested in smart dogs that are trainable that have all the natural drives and desires. I do not want to see trained abilities.
    I have raised litters of pups in 13' x 7' kennels for the first 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks, as opposed to starting their being free in the yard at 6 weeks and I can tell you, there is a drastic difference in how they handle and think. I have not worked more than 4 hrs a day for the last 20+ years so I will have time to observe and take care of the beasts. I have spent years observing the behaviors of the dogs, and pups. Most will find, I don't agree with much of what is written about crate training, breeding or the rearing of pups. I don't disagree because I have read conflicting information. I disagree because I have seen most of it first hand. I keep 5 family units of dogs. I know how they interact.
    While many of you spend a fair amount saving for that one dog and accept it even if marginal, I breed what I want and won't spend the time working with less than what I like. I do not rationalize nor make excuses for a POS dog. With so many dogs outside the door that can do whatever I want, it is impossible to say a POS is something other than a POS. Tough to do when you only have one or two dogs. As a matter of fact, it is tough to see a lot of things when you only have a couple of dogs. You start relying on reading about how someone else perceives dog behavior and end up with BS such as the Dominance theory. I gotta wonder how many people have been bit in the face trying to do the alpha role because of such BS.
    To make a log story short, I did not get my views from reading what someone else thinks nor did I get them from reading a book and looking at one or two dogs. Many have to accept what they read, I don't have to so my view may be obviously different. I have had people tell me for years I can't breed the way I do, can't raise pups with little to no interaction and on and on because they read a book and have maybe a litter a year. All I can say is "Gimme a Break!"

I have not got a clue where you are coming from Susan. I haven't seen anything nasty being said. I simply said, yes, I am bound to have a different perspective because I have a totally different exposure, and more of it than most, to dogs, raising dog pups and dogs, breeding, and behavior of the same. I have raised pups indoors, I have done the early handling and conditioning. If solid dogs are being produced, they don't need it. I did not make that up. Most all of these new methoids Allyssa referrs to are ther because they have to chance because the dogs are less stable than they used to be....largely because of the early practice of crating. There is a reason I can go to the Nationals one time and set the highest success ratio they have seen in the 22 years of having the nationals. There may be a reason these dogs, in spite of the lack of early interaction, can consistently pass the state tests for temperament and obedience at 15 mo old. while the siblings are treeing lions in Idaho even earlier. I just cannot understand how these dogs get UD and obedience titles so easily since, as I have been told, to much freedom makes the difficult to train. Lack of early interaction causes I don't know what all. Alyssa alludes to my being closed minded and not giving some of this bunk a chance. I have tried a lot of it. It all comes back to how solid the dogs are that are being produced. Weak dogs need the new weak methods to even begin to function. That is a fact. How do I know? I have dogs that are not up to par like everyone else. There is a reason I call a specific type of dog the "ultimate dog". I won't have a dog in the house until someone comes to look at them. Then I bring in an outstanding specimen and one no so outstanding. I show them the difference. I explain what they are seeing. I take a few minutes and teach them both to sit and lay down on command while the people watch. I try to get people to understand what they are seeing. I am appauled that most people pick the worst of the two dogs. Why...because they had a dog before and know it all.
    My views simply are not going to be what most peoples views are, it is that simple.