• We removed a beautiful old cedar tree that had fallen down at work a couple of days ago. It seemed like a shame to turn such a nice tree into fire wood so I took a log and planed it down to the heartwood and made a new sling for next weeks Bahamas trip. It looks so pretty that I had to show it off on here:D :toast:

• That looks really nice. Do you have a trigger on there to to release the spear?

no trigger... as trigger mechanisms are prohibited in the Bahamas.

Its like a bow and arrow...off hand on the wood/string, and pull pack with your strong hand...and boom:thumbsup2:

• Cool! I've never thought of using Cedar. I notice you gave it an octagonal shape vs round. I recommend wrapping the butt also for quicker loading.

• Thanks guys. I would've made it round if I had access to a lathe, but it actually feels nice in the hand as is. The last sling I made was too skinny. I made sure to make this one nice and fat so you can but the stearn of it up against the palm of your hand when shooting without rubbing against the shaft. I sprayed a few coats of Krylon Crystal Clear inside and out so hopefully it doesn't absorb any water.

• That's cool. I've only used a hawiian sling never something like this. What do you use for shafts and where would you get them?

• Next trip I'm bringing a long polespear with a sliptip. I ended up landing a few nice hogs, but I lost a good amount of nice fish as well. I think the shafts they sell in the bahamas the floppers are too small. I had a good amount of tear-offs. I lost a mutton that was at least 15lbs. Made me sick to my stomach. Oh well. My girlfriend speared her first fish and now she's hooked so that's awesome.

• nice fish. Where in the bahamas do you go. I usaully hit eleuthera or San Salvador a few weeks a year. i also have a lot of experience with a hawaiin sling and i makes for some challenging fishing. Wish i was in Gregory Town right now looking for a nice hog and some lobsters. Cant beat the out islands of the bahamas!!!!

• Thanks guys. My girl and I surf whenever we get the chance so we've been going to Eleuthera. This years trip was not that great for waves, but the Caribbean side was nice for the most part. I'm starting to get more dialed in on diving there though. I wish that I could stay down there for months. I'd imagine San Salvador is amazing as well.

• awesome we will have to try to get togethor if we are ever going to be planning a trip at the same time. I know a few local eluethera surfers and divers with boats and you wouldnt imagine some of the surf and dive spots they can take you. have you ever spearfished current cut?

Last time i was in Eleuthera i was drinking a kalik with Tony Hawk and Lenny Kravitz at elvinas bar and almost no one even knew who they were. Next day me and Tony surfed head high offshore perfect conditions at surfers beach, no one out but us! Eleuthera is like I would imagine Heaven to be.

• I have been thinking of getting a sling. Sounds like a slip tip is the way to go in that case?

• Do you mean polespear? Sling with a slip-tip would probably not be a good idea unless you had a line connected to it somehow. I'm not really sure what the best shafts to use are. Maybe someone on the board knows?

• I like the 7.5 mm or 5/16 shafts you can buy in governors harbor. But they are not hardened stainless. I had a big black grouper bend one into a u shape once. I am starting to build my own guns and maybe some shafts for the hawiian sling too. You can get good quality 17-4 hardened stainless stock from mcmaster carr. I also think some cheaper spring steel shafts like mako sells could be great without tabs or notches

• awesome we will have to try to get togethor if we are ever going to be planning a trip at the same time. I know a few local eluethera surfers and divers with boats and you wouldnt imagine some of the surf and dive spots they can take you. have you ever spearfished current cut?

Last time i was in Eleuthera i was drinking a kalik with Tony Hawk and Lenny Kravitz at elvinas bar and almost no one even knew who they were. Next day me and Tony surfed head high offshore perfect conditions at surfers beach, no one out but us! Eleuthera is like I would imagine Heaven to be.

that is awesome...sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

I am down for weekend trips to any island with an airport :)

i like to spear fish

• We can only afford to go once a year, but I'll definitely get in touch whenever we are planning our next trip. Probably next Jan-Marchish. The wind was blowing the wrong way to dive the cut this year when we where there. I've yet to dive it. Hopefully next year.