• I'm new to the sport and still getting info on gear to purchase & free diving lessons. My name is Tim (nickname is "Tiny") & I'm 52 and live in the Mission Viejo area, ex commercial diver & currently work in the environmental remediation industry. I've been on the water my whole life and always been intrigued with free diving. My hobby for the past 20 years has been racing on 70' to 82' sailboats, all the big boat owners are passing away and the boats being sold off to foreign countries or being donated... which is why I'm here.

I've located instructors on Freediving Instructors International website and was wondering if anyone here could offer me some advise on gear or instruction/instructors. Currently I can free dive to 35' (no fins) for like 30 seconds, I want more & know I need training w/proper gear. I'm a big guy 5' 11" & 275 lbs (weight lifter) and have strong legs. Which brings me to the subject of fins, I have size 13 EEE wide feet. I want to purchase fiberglass fins with a wide pocket and was looking at the Omer & Mako brands, not sure which would fit me better. I'd also be willing to purchase a pair of used fins & gear during my learning phase.

Also if you could suggest a custom wetsuit manufacture in O.C. that would be very helpful. I've done business with Coral Reef in Westminster in the past & noticed on their website that they make camo free diving suits, has anyone purchased one from them?

Basically, any advise you can offer will be appreciated & thanks in advance.

• Welcome. New here too but there is a wealth of info here. I have been going to Freedive and Spear in Hermosa and they have been helpful and they also have a decent selection of gear.

• Thanks everyone, & Chris thanks for steering me in the right direction. Hookinfish, went & saw Harry at Freedive & Spear yesterday. I'll be doing business with him here in the near future, he'll even be able to fit me into one of his stock wetsuits. I'm also going to take his level I course soon before my company ships me off somewhere.

Thanks again gentlemen.