Hardened tips - Close, but . . .

• I bought some of these to play around with making my own slip tips. On the far right is a standard "Muzzy" brand broadhead arrow tip, with a 9/32" OD and a #12-28 tpi (threads per inch) internal thread. I recently found the two larger tips. The middle one is a Muzzy brand bowfishing arrow tip. It's 5/16" OD, with a 1/4"-28 tpi internal thread. The one on the far left is a "Cajun Jackhammer" bowfishing tip. It's also 5/16" OD with a 1/4"-28tpi internal thread. All of these are very hard, with the Cajun Jackhammer advertised as being a 50 on the Rockwell "C" hardness scale. 17-4 stainless shafts are usually about a 44, and the Rob Allen shafts about a 47 on that same scale. They all run about $2.00 each.

They almost fit a 6mm thread (argh!). The 1/4" diameter is close enough to work, but the 28 tpi threads are just a little too far off of the 1.0 mm metric pitch threads to fit.

Anyway, the larger tips were news to me. Those Jackhammer tips seem perfect for reef hunting, so maybe someone out there can figure out a clever way to use them.

• Jeff, sooner or later you will come up with something brilliant that will outperform all the existing tips around I am sure about this... just like your (genius) pin weights ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I don't know if the artwork of Mori and Kitto and others can be improved much for a blue water tip. If I were paying lots of money to go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip, where I might only get a single shot at a trophy fish, I would absolutely want the best.

I'm just hoping to come up with something for my own day to day wreck diving, that won't make me cry like a little girl when I hear the tip clang up against a concrete culvert.

• hehehe, mental image of you crying like a little girl underwater. I came close to crying on a couple of occasions missing a shot. I'll tell you though sharpness is not such a big deal IMO unless you're hunting those 50lb plus monsters. You can even hunt successfully with a spear that broke at the flopper pin hole. It becomes one big slip tip. If you ever find yourself in that situation just remember what I said and keep shooting (if you haven't had this situation already).

• I have in fact shot fish with a busted tip. What would make me cry, were I using a $90 slip tip, isn't the knowledge that I have dulled the point, but knowing that I may have damaged the fit of the adapter and tip to to the extend that it won't work properly. Or that it is bent and causes the shaft to be inaccurate.

My ideal slip tip would be:

Robust enough to survive reef / wreck impacts
    Have a replaceable point, like those above
    Be easy to replace the spectra or cable rigging
    Be inexpensive enough that I won't hesitate to shoot down into a wreck, knowing that I may lose the tip.

• What about a slip tube like the one Rob Allen makes?

That´s a thought, but i think it has a major flaw (theoretically :rolleyes1:) I wonder, how that slip tube deploys securely after hiting home. Does it has a large potencial to get stucked or it is just me?

• I must admit, the slip tube seems flawed to me, but I've never used it. You have a long cylinder (the tube) slipped over a considerable length of cylindrical shaft. If that fit is too tight, then the tube would not easily slide off. Unlike the tapered adapters on blue water tips, the cylinder over cylinder doesn't get any looser as it moves.

If that tube is too loose, then the open end will get fish scales and guts jammed in it . . . and not slide off.

You also have a line attachment point welded to a thin walled tube. This seems to me like it would have a high likelyhood of deforming the thin tube in the area of the weld and again . . . not slide off.

In the pictures that I have seen, I don't think the tube had a little prong or wing to catch on the backside of the fish and help it deploy, so I would be worried that it would pull right back through the hole in the fish.

But as I said, I've never used one, so maybe they work fine. I don't understand how a bumblebee stays airborne either, but they do.

• I don't know why, but the RA slip tube works great for me. First thing I did was to take the ss wire off and replace it with the same length of our band line [demenia?]. It has always deployed correctly for me and I prefer to use it over my flopper shafts. My problem with the RA is that7.5mm is too big/heavy for the little fish I shoot. I would love to have a 7mm slip tube.

• I don't know why, but the RA slip tube works great for me. First thing I did was to take the ss wire off and replace it with the same length of our band line [demenia?]. It has always deployed correctly for me and I prefer to use it over my flopper shafts. My problem with the RA is that7.5mm is too big/heavy for the little fish I shoot. I would love to have a 7mm slip tube.

So i´ve heard ..The RA crew must know something that we ignore, at the end of the day they are manufacturers of the most famous speargun in the spearfishing world...

• sorry to resurrect this thread, but cant someone thread their own spear to fit these tips? i have no real knowledge about threading SS or spring steel, but to have replacable and sharp tips for that cheap would be worth a bit more on the cost of the shaft..

anyone want to order some from Torres :) J/k

good looking out as always Jeff

i like to spear fish

• Two things make this a little tough without a lathe:

First, you need to reduce the diamter of the shaft from 5/16", 9/32", 7mm, or whatever, down to 1/4" for the threads.

Then, you have to cut threads almost right up to where that diameter stepped down, which is tough with a tap.

But like most things, determination and patience with get you pretty close.

• The oil quenched shafts are way too steely, just try to drill a hole or make a thread on them, you will get a bunch of drill bits busted and lots of pig fat used as lube too. i guess is better to invest in a brand new threaded shaft. Pelaj and maybe sumora stocks them already.