Koah Spearguns

• Hey Everyone, My name is John and I am the owner/builder of KOAH spearguns. First off let me say I really like the forum, seems to have more contribution with minimal drama. Sad to say I didn't know it existed until George pointed it out to me, and I would like to contribute with fish posts, gun builds, sponsorship and whatever else I can if that works for everyone else.
    Now as for the guns, to make a long story short, I never really intended to sell spearguns years ago. I own a dive/spearfishing charter and I constantly experimented with gun builds for years and when I finally got one the way that I wanted it, I used it for some time. Well, one person on a charter would use it and would ask me to build him one and over time another and so on. Eventually I gave it a website, went to a few expos and sold a few. I will be the first to admit the first series were not pretty, and over time they evolved in shape, performance,ballasting, coatings ext. to the gun they are today. But two things all series of Koah guns accomplished was tracking and accuracy. They look better today and I do recess the wood for the length of the handle mainly to utilize the auto-return on Josh's mechs while keeping a thinner profile (pic). I also like how the lines run with the gun on a side profile.I started doing this 60-70 guns ago, but I have to admit I really like some of the DIY uhmw handles posted on this thread. My only question is how do they work on a standard rear handle where the mech sits above the handle and a push rod isn't used, while keeping the integrity of the handle strength? I just need to know if the mech is cut into the handle or are they strictly built for remote trigger applications.

The good news is only one handle out of many guns has come close to sheering off and this was due to the user shooting a grouper with three bands at a range of about 3 feet in a hole, with nothing but rock behind the grouper. I did use #8 screws for some time in both 3/4 and 1in, but as of late I have moved to #10 1in, with both alexander and neptonics handles. As for linghunts gun, it was before i did any countersinking and it is regrettable. I would be happy to rout out and countersink the handle (either style seeing as its not an auto-return mech) while upgrading the screws if he can get the gun in my hands for no charge. As for the saftey, Josh has refined his euro style saftey and I think he has it looking pretty good. I plan on offering it as an option starting with the next mech order, which will be in a couple months. I'm open to any questions/opinions and I look forward to putting fish reports ext. on the board.

John , (Gruper reeper), I so meant to get back with you sooner and Started to Just send an Email , But thought I better to add to Forum Dialog. I can drop the Gun in the Mill and Add reess for Handle, It would be easier than Boxing the Gun up and Worries of it in Travels.

The Recess is still the way to go, but I am still as concerned as before. The failure of these screws has to be more than what is seen. I'm getting my head above water for work load so I will take a look at it again.

You made me one NICE Gun, I have some picky ass folks out here and all liked the quality of that Gun. I moded it for Safety. ( We were throught that already) and the recess, I might go bigger screws in 18-8 or something else,

You buy be a Beer, or give me and guest VIP on your Boat charter, we can call it even. -John (Linghunt)

Calculations to come as promised.

• I have been so happy with the quality and performance of my 65 blue water Koah that I commissioned a second gun from John for my summer hunting as my 15 year old 55 ABBiller has been out grown(still kills fish just fine though).
    So I had a Euro 120 custom built to my specs, I had always dreamed of a teak gun with purple heart laminates on the outside and sent John some pictures from gun build's here of what I had in mind and Koah delivered!!! Boy did John deliver!! :thumbsup2:

And yes that is a bad ass Speardiver reel attached ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I realize that my last statement means nothing without actual dead fish...so here are a few of the past couple months.

That last photo is some of the days catch that i gave to a local family who got skunked that day while fishing. This soldier had his whole family in their tiny skiff and rode out miles only to come back with a small cooler of little grunts and one tiny yellow tail. . In fact he also had an undersized grouper in his cooler that was still somewhat alive.. So I traded my legal fish for his ...not-so-legal fish. After a good stern talking to about regulations we were able to resuscitate the baby gag well enough so he could swim off on his own. family was very happy and the kids were stoked too.

Anyways back on track, MY KOAH KILLS....:thumbsup2: