Returning Hand Tools; Home Depot vs. Sears

• So I had to return some hand tools today.

First experience: $80 Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench that I've had for years. I broke off the 3/8th" drive part thru my sheer strength. I walk in to SEARS and hold up the tool. The guy behind the counter looks, grabs it, and goes to the wrench section. Keep in mind no words have exchanged. He hands me a new one. I say "thanks". He works the computer and gives a receipt. I'm out the door in 4 minutes. :)

Second experience: $25 Husky Pro 3/8" drive socket wrench that I've had for months. The teeth inside were messed up. I walk to HOME DEPOT Return counter. The lady has to ask if they do tool exchange (the answer is yes). They send me to find a replacement tool. Can't find it. They tell me to go find a guy from the area. He can't find it. They say you're SOL (Shit Outta Luck). I ask for the ASM (Assistant Store Manager). He sweatily looks at the same section I and Chuck the tools guy already looked at. I asked, can I just get something comparable? He says sure, after some more sweating. He tells me a story about how SEARS always exchanged tools for him in the past, even though he left them in the rain. He has to find another manager so that I can get the "replacement tool" that's crappier. They mess around with the computer I finally exit the store in 30 minutes. :frustrated2:

Buy Hand tools from SEARS. It's like buying for life. Unless you lose it. Then you're just SOL.

• guys, I'm a marine mechanic and I learned the hard way not to buy any tools that will have torque or forced applied to from homo depot!

Every tool that I've purchased at sears over the past 5 years that has stopped working (for odd reasons), broken or not working properly I will take it to sears and/or Kmart(owned by sears) and you get your tools exchanged by the same tool or by a comparable one. No questions asked! I even used to buy old rusted cratsman tools at the flea shop for pennies on the dollar and go to sears and returned them for newer shinny ones! :thumbsup2:

In the other hand, HOMO DEPOT is a big :nono: for buying precision tools! If I need to buy a screwdriver or a tape measure, I will gladly buy it here. If it is a breaker bar, ratcheting wrenches or any other tool that will break if applied brute force too. Don't even waste your time. I have a 1/2" breaker bar, a set of husky gearwrenches, 1/4" micro ratchet that I threw on a trash can after the home depot ahole manager informs me that in order for me to get my tools fixed or replaced I had to send them by mail with a copy of my receipt to husky headquarters and they will issue the exchange. Eventough husky tools are lifetime warranty I still had to do all that crap!

Just don't buy tools at home depot! Go to harbor freight tools and get their made in china crap instead!