A Reel Question

• I am looking at a new reel for a gun that i currently have under construction.
    I have it down to a Mako MAKO South African 70M High Capacity Reel (with rapid deployment on/off) (For Wood guns, Hybrids and Railguns)
    or Salvimar Reel Spearfishing Reels
    I will be placing an order with Neptonics and that is the reel they sell.
    I need a reel that is easy to remove. I if i do any spear fishing not on the island i live on my gun must go on a plane for travel. I take the reel and handle off my gun a put it in a PVC tube, works fine.
    My current reel needs to have the line 3/4 removed to get to the screws, a MESS to say the least.
    Once the new gun is built, the old one will be permanently retired.

I know the mako is easy to remove and possibly too easy. Looks like you can just bump it off.

Anyone have the Salvimar? Is it easily removed for travel and easily reattached?

• Hey Cookie. I've only used Rob Allen and Wong reels. Here's the little I know.
    The Rob Allen is a couple years old now and has never had a problem. It's easy to remove. Take off the drag knob, unscrew the main mount screw, slide it off the mounting bracket and unscrew the mounting bracket. Maybe 2 minutes. $70

The Wong reel is very similar. Daryl used to put RA composites on his guns. Now he has his own brand but the only difference I see is that it holds more line and has a larger drag knob. It's about $85 with no line. Add another $30-40 for line.

• Mako is OUT!
    On the Wong the Seardiver and the Rob A. the reels seems to come off by removing the drag screw and the line gide remains.
    Is the line guide removed by a few screws ?Or dose it slide off?

No love for the Salvimar Reel ???

Thanks Guys

• As I said the Wong reel and the Mako reel are the same reel rebranded. I will post pictures of the Mako/Wong reel side by side with the Speardiver so the difference in quality will be apparent.

All these reels are removed from the gun by sliding them back and off the mounting plate. The mounting plate is secured to the gun with two screws. Speardiver reel has the best mounting plate because it has stoppers that prevent the reel from coming off the front, that's the small tab you see at the top end of the mounting plate in the pic. The reel mounts from RA and Mako don't have stoppers.

Here are the Speardiver and Rob Allen reels disassembled. The Speardiver reel axle has a stronger connection with the reel base.

• Hank ill have to come down there for some R&D. haha

Both my parents operate small Biz. A am all about the lil guy.

My pop has a machine shop I just wish it was in Belize.
    Thanks for the help
    You fellas s are great.
    Spear diver reel, final answer!