Have you harvested a permit?

• If so and you would like to continue to do so, I highly recommend you tell the FWC Commissioners. At next month's meeting the FWC staff will be presenting draft definitions of "sport fish" and "game fish". After those definitions are approved, staff will be presenting which fish they recommend to add to those lists. As of today here are the draft definitions:

Game Fish:
    No or limited commercial harvest
    No sale or limited sale
    Hook and line only

Sport Fish:
    No commercial harvest
    No sale
    Hook and line only
    NO RECREATIONAL HARVEST

Per the Sept 2012 Commission meeting here are the potential candidates for each of the lists:

Game Fish - Snook and Redfish

Sport Fish - Bonefish, Tarpon, and PERMIT

Yep, they're trying to backdoor a harvest closure on permit after all the shit we went through the last two years. Commissioner Chairman Ken Wright has made it clear that he would like additional protections for permit. Specifically he would like to see permit be designated to the sport fish category and make it catch and release only. According to FWC staff biologists, permit stocks are not even remotely in trouble per the most recent data. There is zero evidence that they have not been subject to an increase in pressure, nor have they been found to be endangered in any way.

So tell me, how is it justified for a single person to force their personal preference on all of Florida’s fishermen regardless of sound science?

In fact, this issue continues to be fueled primarily by a group of catch and release only fishermen (and now apparently Commissioner Chairman Ken Wright) who would like the FWC Commissioners to force their personal preference on all of Florida’s fishermen regardless of the lack of true need, which I believe, is unfair to the citizens and tourists of Florida. I hope you will too.

The FWC resources being spent on this permit sport fish issue would be, in my opinion, better spent on other fisheries which have documented problems, not catering to the personal preferences of Commissioner Chairman Ken Wright and a small group catch and release only fishermen.

If you feel the same way please let the Commissioners know by emailing them your thoughts via this link:

http://myfwc.com/contact/fwc-s…nior-staff/commissioners/

At the beginning of next year we will need to come together and show up at the FWC Commission meetings and tell them in person.

Spread the word through your dive/fishing/spearfishing clubs.

Thank you!!

Bryan

Shoot em when you see em.

• Here's a letter you can use to copy and paste. Feel free to change/modify but stay professional.

• I sent one already. I'm going to copy yours and send that one too. Thanks for spreading the word

Even if you think this makes ZERO difference, it takes so little time to send the email, do it anyways. Please

i like to spear fish

• Florida Today News Article:
    http://www.floridatoday.com/ar…r-fishing-rules-could-way

Please send your comments to the Commissioners here:

http://myfwc.com/contact/fwc-s…nior-staff/commissioners/

If you need something to say let me know and I draft something for you.

Please also plan to attend the February 13-14, 2013 FWC meeting. It's going to be the one not to miss.

http://myfwc.com/about/commiss…/2013/february/13/agenda/

• I wrote another quick letter. Here it is to copy if to want

I want to voice my strong opposition to the proposed changes to the permit fishery and the sea trout. The designation of hook an line only is unacceptable. I am a law abiding paying license holder and you are not representing me if you impose restrictions on spearing these fish

Spearing is supported by research to have less of an impact as there is no by catch. This is a bad law and has no support in science. This is shameless pandering to the interests of a few at the exclusion of the benefits of many.

Fly fishing will still thrive as you cannot spear in water that shallow. You can't even swim in it.

Please protect the interests of everyone and use science as the guide in moving forward

i like to spear fish