Massa God Fish Can Done

• It's a real problem in the Caribbean. Even here in Grenada, I see them just raping the reefs not realizing the consequences of their actions. It's hard to find decent fish on a shore dive here. You have to head out deep to 100' at least to get the quantity of lobsters that I would get in one day trip in the Keys.

I still see the lobster guys using bleach to get them out of the holes. I'm not against spearing with scuba, but the way that they do it here is very detrimental to the environment. In the States, the regulations are there to protect the species, so no matter what gear you use, you still harvest within sustainable limits. Here in Grenada, there is not enforcement. All those small fish you saw in the video (French grunts, 6" strawberry grouper, soldier fish, glassy sweepers) are commonly harvested here as well. The law enforcement here is so focused on getting money from foreigners that they turn a blind eye to their own people raping their reefs. It's a sad state.

• The video sends a good message in my opinion. I believe in MPAs and have seen them work in the Philippines and here.

Interesting that they're siting Belize as a model for good fisheries management. Although we do have multiple MPAs, enforcement of them is underfunded and fish are still taken in those areas by the commercial guys. But at least they're trying.

• Good feedback, Ben they dont turn a blind eye buddy they simply have zero resources to police or enforce existing regulations... Takes political will, local support BUT most importantly MONEY to enforce and police for instance if we had policing you would not be able to spearfish in Grenada without a lisence ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Good feedback, Ben they dont turn a blind eye buddy they simply have zero resources to police or enforce existing regulations... Takes political will, local support BUT most importantly MONEY to enforce and police for instance if we had policing you would not be able to spearfish in Grenada without a lisence ;)

That is very true!