Dazzle Camouflage for spearfishing wetsuit?

• Hi all,

Has anyone tried Dazzle camouflage on suits? It works on the principal of making it difficult to estimate size, speed, heading and range, as opposed to normal camo which uses concealment.

If someone has tried this please give us a review. What are your thoughts?

Gabriel

• I havent tried it but heres my .02

Many consider camo on wetsuits pretty useless but I like to think it is advantageous. The most obvious reason being that if camo didnt help why have fish developed camo themselves. The dazzle pattern that you're asking about doesnt hide the object but makes size and range estimation difficult to humans. Fish have lateral lines that can detect the vibrations of objects in the water from the minute pressure waves these vibrations create. The lateral lines allow fish to detect, size relative shape, distance and other more nuanced characteristics of objects. In my opinion this would basically negate the benefits of the dazzle pattern.

You might wonder why this wouldnt stop other types of camo. My reasoning is, that types of camo that allow a diver to blend with surroundings can confuse the fish. For example, a suit that makes you look like your part of the surrounding reef. The fish can still feel your presence but when you are close to the bottom you look like a rock. This mixed signal sometimes confuses the fish.

In the same scenario with a dazzle pattern the fish would be able to clearly discern you from your surroundings (although size and range would be harder to determine) but it other senses would confirm that a large object was present.

Now that was a reef/aspetto scenario and the dazzle might work a little better in open or mid water where range estimation is much more difficult (for humans at least).

Just my thoughts.

• Could it be that fish camo only works in very close range? the fish that have camo use it for either protection or to predate but due to water properties, vision is not their best sense, as you mention so for it to work they have to remain motionless.... if camo only works within say (I'm just trowing a number here) 1 or 2 meters, it's relevance for spearfishing could be small...

Just to add to the discussion...

But camo can't hurt and it looks cool :D

• Welcome to the Home of GoggleSKINZ®, The One Way Goggle Camo

Along with Don's camo job, I think the most important camo is for your eyes.
    At least for the fish we hunt here. How many times I'm laying on the bottom as a snapper or grouper comes in.....and as soon as I look up and he/she sees my eyes, "WHUP"...change direction or hesistate.
    They know predator and aggression by looking at our eyes.

• Not sure how well it would work for spearfishing, but the US Navy used this type of "camo" on its ships during WW2, to confuse enemy submariners as to the size, class, distance, and direction of themselves so the enemy couldn't accurately calculate their torpedo spreads.