Increase range??

• Hi all,

I am currently using a Omer Cayman E.T. 95 cm with one 18 mm rubber, but sometimes the range is a bit short. I have the option to get the same modell with a 130 cm barrel for around 330 Dollars. However, I hate to have stuff double, and I was wondering whether I can increase the range of the 95 cm modell by adding a second rubber (the muzzle is fitted for that), attach a reel and switch to a 7 mm spear if necessary. Vibration of the spear should not be problem in E.T. systems.

Any experience with that??

Thanks

Karl

• The size of the spear and amount of force will give a little more range, but not as much as a 130 and not so much before the gun doesn't shoot as accurately.

I would get a longer gun for situations when you need it and let the 95 shine for situations when a short and more maneuverable gun is called for

i like to spear fish

• The lenght of the gun should be proportional to the visibility of the water where you dive and the type of spearing you preffer.

A 95 will never have the range of a 130, no matter how many bands you put on it.

Sometimes is good to have 2 measurements of the same gun because you have a "hole" gun and an "open water" gun with the same handle, which means no adaptation when switching from one to the other.

I would use that speargun with a 7 mm shaft and 2 x 16 mm (or 14mm) bands.

A reel doesn't give you any estra range. It is a "line storage device" used to play a speared fish from the surface.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• A speargun needs to be balanced for the best performance, and that is "balanced" in an all round sense. Longer range usually requires a longer gun, powering up short guns does not compensate for the lack of increased sighting radius on the short gun, but of course it depends on how much extra range you need. A harder to load gun means you will invest more energy in the shot, which means more to you when you miss! Buy a longer gun and keep the shorter one for the conditions where that is all you need.