Splicing hollow braid together

• I have not tried this but I have to admit I am sceptical that without a tapered end or a locking splice that this can have 100% strength as a splice.
    Would love some more experienced folks at rigging to give their opinions, if this really works it will be a invaluable splice.
    Blackwater International - The World's Finest Fishing Line - Tech Tips - Hollow Braid Splice Connection

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Depending on the manufacturer, the breaking strength quoted will be either the spliced breaking strength or the unspliced strength. If it is the spliced breaking strength that Blackwater quote, then you could expect to get 100% from the splicing technique they have shown.
    If you look at the ratio of diameter of the rope they have put in the splice, there is a lot of wastage compared with a locking tuck splice and for larger diameter lines it would get expensive to do it this way.

• Kmo I cant understand why a proper long bury each end would not be bulletproof? But if this simple splice works and it doesn't seem to be more than the 72 to diameter ratio then WOW! Wish somebody would put it to a actual test ;)

George Steele

• Well I finally did this for my Ulusub 100 meter reel and have to tell you all that it is magic! Can't be more pleased with how little bulk it added and stronger at the join than the line!

George Steele

• Yes the slick coated kind that climbers use as throw line, New England dynaglide... best stuff I have ever used. Been using it intensively for over two years now, it's been sawed on wrecks, pilings and rocks by powerful fish. Never failed, and as it gets used it lays down flatter, allowing about 20% more line on the reel over initial spooling. In the blue when you shoot a decent wahoo line counts [emoji4]
    So on the big capacity reels the ability to splice the lines together with almost no added bulk is another huge benefit.

George Steele

• It is 1.8 1000lb test, handles in your hands like a dream when running hard. They sell it in 200ft or 600 ft lengths, for some bizarre reason it is far far cheaper to buy the 200ft lengths, hence the reason i need to splice it onto my high capacity bluewater reels, I can get over 350ft of line onto my big reels.
    Only downside is it can knot itself when floating as a mass of line if not pulled gently, but no more so than any other dyneema/spectra line i have dealt with.

George Steele

• What is the difference between that and the stuff that Neptonics sells? I've had the Neptonics stuff for a while and love it. It sounds pretty similar to what you are describing.

• What is the difference between that and the stuff that Neptonics sells? I've had the Neptonics stuff for a while and love it. It sounds pretty similar to what you are describing.

Well having never personally seen the stuff I can only comment on the pictures, BUT it looks exactly like the stuff Dan sells(Dan sells at a better price FYI) which I use all the time on my reef gun, good stuff that line, but it is stiffer and very difficult to work with splicing, also the 1.7mm is 400lb test verses the new England 1k test, and I have found that the new england stuff to wear better and be slippery over a longer time on the reel... not to mention it lays down flatter sooner allowing more line on the reel. So the new England is better and did i mention a better price per hank? The new England colour does fade fast though. Oh and the new england is a less heavy line which makes a difference when putting 300+ ft on a reel.

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().