Ceviche, crudo or any other way?

• Is there any trick to selecting my plantains for tostones?

Must be green and hard to the touch. If they're rip, will taste sweet. You can also make them with bananas, even is not the same, they will taste similar. But must be GREEN. They will be difficult to peel. Don't worry, once you cook them will become soft and crisp. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I love seafood mixed ceviche too, specially octopus, lobster, squid, shrimp, etc, anything fresh is usually good in there.... But, no fish in your ceviche? never?? :confused2:
    To each his own, I guess... Ok just send me the fish and Ill take care of it! :toast2:

eh. not a fan of the texture of it in the ceviche.

• I just made some conch ceviche last night. I get my conch from a local farmers market down here in Hollywood. I just keep mine simple with conch, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and a lot of fresh squeezed limes. The lime juice really brings all the flavors together nicely. I would be generous though, too little and the ceviche doesn't have that citric zing to it. Sometimes I like to throw in an avocado too. The more its sits in the pot marinating, the better!

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Chase what market and how do they get fresh raw conch ? I would love to get a hold of that. I just assumed we didn't have raw fresh conch in fla because of the protected status.

i like to spear fish

• Its not fresh from the ocean. All conch in FLA is imported from places in the caribbean I believe. The market is called the "Yellow Green Farmers Market" Its in Hollywood, FL located on Taft St just west of the I-95 overpass(95 doesn't have an exit for Taft St.) and the railroad tracks. They are open Sat/Sun 8a-4p. A lot of nice stuff there bro you should check it out.

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Thanks. I am a fan of the yellowngreen market. I was wondering if that was what you meant. I have never seen the conch there but I get my sorrell, premium flavored oils and amazing pickled and brined stuff from the market there

i like to spear fish

• Thanks. I am a fan of the yellowngreen market. I was wondering if that was what you meant. I have never seen the conch there but I get my sorrell, premium flavored oils and amazing pickled and brined stuff from the market there

You have to look for him, he's usually on the far west row towards the back. I believe he's a bahamian gentleman. Usually he has it by the lb. or you could buy in bulk say 5lbs or so. My wife told me last weekend when she went he's now offering jars of conch already cut into chunks and cleaned. I dont mind cleaning mine though, I usually soak it in some sea salt and serve raw with the ceviche.

Later,

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• You have to look for him, he's usually on the far west row towards the back. I believe he's a bahamian gentleman. Usually he has it by the lb. or you could buy in bulk say 5lbs or so. My wife told me last weekend when she went he's now offering jars of conch already cut into chunks and cleaned. I dont mind cleaning mine though, I usually soak it in some sea salt and serve raw with the ceviche.

I appreciate this information too. I've been in that same farmers market a couple times but had no idea you could find conch in there. Thanks.

• Raw and diced brother, we mexicans eat a whole lotta raw veggies and herbs such as cilantro and perejil with every meal (coriander and fresh parsil) It`s actually imposible to find a mexican recipe without them. Ceviche is not an excemption to this rule. True mexican tacos for example, always include coriander and onions. Do it, you wont regret.

Chile is another thing, we toss the most dangerous and biological threatening chiles into everything. :D If you survive the meal then your testosterone levels will soar like rockets hahahah, no kidding. Try a small habanero chile. Those are awesome ..

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Awesome. I love the Mexican tacos at the local shop. The De la casa ones with pickled cabbage and cilantro and guacamole and of course hot peppers and pork

i like to spear fish