Shark attacks and kills girl Runion Island

• In Western Australia, the second place i hunt alot, this is a huge debate at the moment. There is talk of rougue sharks that prey on humans, that learn our habits and target us. There is another theory that the increase in sea lion numbers has caused an increase in sharks, others that say we have killed to many fish and so sharks are taking what they can get and so on.

There are to many cooks in the kitchen, we dont know or understand sharks enough and that is what breeds a fear, the unkown.

I used to be a furm believer that we shoukd never kill sharks because of attacks on humans, then i moved to W.A and the attacks were happening often, more deaths than any other western country last year. I know believe that sharks that do venture to close to highly populated shores should be killed. Baited lines are great for this reason, they are local, they target sharks in a fixed location.

However if an agressive mako or white was sighted in a remote location i wouldnt be up for killing it, thats my opinion, might seem strange to some but logical to others. I guess im saying its ok to kill them under certain circumstances.

I also agree with Dan in that no shark is worth more than a human, unfortunatly we are not saving a human for every shark we kill, it just doesnt work out like that, so culling is just a quick fix with potentially negative impacts.

That will be 2$

• Reunion Island Bans Surfing

Reunion Island Bans Surfing | SURFER Magazine

• Shark attacked inshore in the Red Sea, I guess action took place one year ago, several victims?
    Was told by local colleagues that big tuna fishing boats back from the indian ocean have been using to clean the captures and get rid of the tuna waste in the sea while boating along the coast to the Suez channel.
    So the boat get followed by hundred of sharks...
    at the time tuna get definitively cleaned, the sharks have to find preys along the coast... inshore...:(

• In 2010 Sharm el-Sheikh were a series of attacks by sharks on swimmers off the Red Se...
    Was told by local colleagues that big tuna fishing boat coming from the Indian Ocean to the strait of Suez have been using to clean the fish and bump waste overboard. So that hundred of sharks follow for days the boats... until they have to find new preys inshore...:(
    a same reason and a same consequence!

• So should they kill off all the mountain lions that kill hikers in the Rockies? I feel that if you're hunting animals to eat them than that's fine but if your only killing them because another one killed a human than that's just pointless. As a human, we are smart enough to understand that if you hike in the woods, swim in the ocean or hike in the arctic, there is a chance that you will be consumed by an Apex Predator. If you do not want to take those risks, you should not be visiting those areas. There were even signs warning of shark attacks along that beach. If she could read the sign, she was able to understand the risks she was taking entering the water. Killing a shark for being a shark is just stupid. The only time a shark should be killed is for sustenance or in defense from an imminent attack.

There's plenty of humans out there that have raped, killed and beat other humans (even small girls) and they are still alive and kicking and getting shelter and food three times a day.

• Nobody ever said the top of the food chain is a static position . It's pretty turbulent at the top.

There are ways of dealing with predatory mammals who have developed a taste for people and or livestock ...no idea how you'd do it for a shark.