Two things that a scuba/freediver shouldnt live without...look here!!

• Over the past few months I spent a lot of time in the water. Not doing anything cool like spearfishing. Some of you might have read the thread about the underwater documentary for a japanese TV show, i took it down for confidentiality sake, but will post it back up in a few weeks after its aired. Along with a sleuth of new footage and behind the scene stuff...Anyways... Initially we were only supposed to have about 15 minuets of footage in the hour long documentary, but as things progressed I was told that we were going to be doing around 25-30 minuets..needless to say, since i was the only videographer, that added a massive amount of pressure to me and my planning. Aside from diving in sebastian(which was absolutely horrible) and the times we went to the keys, all the back and forth driving at night, sleeping a few hours did take a toll on my system. Most of the crew lived on the boat in Sebastian while it was at port, and I stayed at my place or hotels when we were in the keys filming (too bad in sebastian)...One guy would get sick and the rest of the gang would after that, mostly sinus issues and ear aches...

Okay, TWO things that I recommend that every diver should use as it 100% without a shadow of a doubt made the difference of me diving/filming or not was...A NETI Pot, And Tea Tree Oil...oil in your ears and neti pot for your sinuses. I would honestly fill a thermos with hot water and mix it out on the boat some days when i was bad. instant relief. It also saved the day when the main superstar actress got sick and couldn't dive as well. I bought her a neti pot and now she carries one with her everywhere she goes when she travels the world...she told me she just used it on another film shoot as well...she was only there for 9 days at roughly 11k a day...there was absolutely no time, what-so-ever for days down...

Seriously, get both and keep them handy. I like to use the oils on dive days even if my ears dont hurt. a few drops and its like and instant relief on your ears, and its almost like you can hear better as well.. I had my ears professionally cleaned before the trip and they are clear, so its not my imagination but the oil really helps.

As far as the neti pot is concerned. There are several points i must make about it.

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use 100% filtered water, never tap water, and none of that water with electrolytes or any bull shit like that...you dont want to get any nasty bacteria growing in your sinus cavities. Boiling also works. Make sure to pour some water on your arm to be sure its not too hot.
    2. Always, sterilize the pot by nuking it with a little water inside it, dump it and put fresh stuff.
    3. Make sure you mouth is open when you are pouring. Or else youll clog back up again.
    4. When you are done flushing, blow your nose out and wipe your face so you dont look like a 2 year old, and switch nostrils, then do it again. I like to do them twice. Youll wish you had one sooner.

Also, for those that get seasick or know of someone that does. There is one instant cure, peppermint oil. One drop, bam...done. Worked ever time with the non sea fairing japanese...ive used it on jet ski tours and boat trips as well.

• Thanks for the advice. I second the Neti pot, been using it for a few months. Also great to use after being in an environment with dust of any sort.

Please explain in more detail the tea tree and peppermint oil remedies. Where do the drops go etc.

• Sorry if I missed that part, i had about 5 different replies from three completely different types of forums going on with only 39 tabs open..haha.

Tea tree oil, is like gods gift to the world..next to shapelock, moonshine and boobies...It has a multitude of uses.

Remember that Chris Rock bit on Tussin', and how it was the cure-all?? What he really meant, was that Tea Tree was the cure-all...One thing i did read online is that you should be very careful about putting it in your ears as it is easy to put too much. I always made sure that when i put the tea tree oil in my ears, it was ONLY 2 drops and i laid sideways for a few seconds and turned back over with a paper towel or napkin i my ear. I never over did it and it always worked for me and everyone else that used it. I even got the old time salvage guy that was with us using it, said they used to use it all the time back in the day, it was like a medicine cabinet in a bottle.

The peppermint oil is to be used ONE drop at a time. And just before or after someone is getting sick. One drop, dont over do it. It has a diminishing return on the second and third drop...

• kwtony---
    1. Thanks for the intel sir. :toast: I have been using Tea Tree Oil for only about 3years now. I second that it is powerful stuff as you wrote. (but I have used if for years on my GFs boobies with no noted size increase :rolleyes1: )
    2. Can we see more :bouncinboobs: of the "main superstar actress" ?

Thanks for sharing and nice to see you here on Speardiver :toast:

• kwtony---
    1. Thanks for the intel sir. :toast: I have been using Tea Tree Oil for only about 3years now. I second that it is powerful stuff as you wrote. (but I have used if for years on my GFs boobies with no noted size increase :rolleyes1: )
    2. Can we see more :bouncinboobs: of the "main superstar actress" ?

Thanks for sharing and nice to see you here on Speardiver :toast:

Haha, I'll post photos of the entire trip as soon as Im able to. As soon as the show aires ill ask dan to bring the orrigioanl thread back to life and bring it up to speed. I have about 200 gigs of just my bull shit videos to go through to make a behind the scenes documentary, but I have next to no time right now. I've been crazy busy with my jet ski rental and preparing for Christmas so I hope to get started in it in the beggining of the year. I have started a sort of story board in my head, trying to find good tunes and what not. I have a good friend in this industry that might help me out. Im used to making 3-9 minuet videos on my computer, not 45- 90 minuet movies. I fear it'll kill my poor MacBook if I tried making something that big.

• No worries Dan, I thought since you were the webmaster, it could be, it's all good I have all the info and will repost it when appropriate. I'm actually held under my own contract for the time being on the videos, but some photos are fine...

Anyways, did a neti pot this morning cause I could feel something small coming on, and now I feel like a million bucks. Now if the weather would only cooperate, I could get out in some bluewater and go try for some wahoo...

• I've been using the Neti Pot myself now every night for about 6 months. I have a deviated septum and it got to the point where at night I had to use one of those Breathe Rite strips to open up my nostrils so I could get a decent nights sleep. Well, I don't have to do that anymore, the neti pot rules. Also for the ears I use this stuff Wally's Ear Oil, it has Tea Tre Oil and a bunch of other essential oils in it. I've returned from diving many times with ear pain and after using this oil everything feels fine within a half an hour of using it. Great stuff.

• What does tea tree oil in the ears fix?

Peppermint oil.. one drop on the tongue? down the throat? or mix with something and drink?

X2 - what exactly does the tea tree oil remedy?