shaft band tab

• You can drill it, just need a carbide bit. Here's one for $4 at Lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122417-353-HCBG01&lpage=none&cm_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Bosch-1/8%22-Carbide-Masonry-Drill-Bit If you want buy it and come to my place to do the work. I think I have a 1/8 SS rod. The RA shaft shouldn't rust too badly around the hole.

Just be careful with the bit and don't drop it. I once ordered an expensive one online. When I got the package the bit was stuck in its plastic pouch. I shook the pouch to dislodge the bit and make it come out, it fell on the floor and broke in 3 pieces. I was still able to use one broken piece to drill a hole. It works like a miniature grinding wheel.

that is very good info right there pargo..this might deserve its' own little thread about how to drill a shaft...in the non xrated sense :laughing3:

i like to spear fish

• pargo---thank you very much for the offer.:thumbsup2:
    Pinning the shaft is of course the very best method that I may have to resort to if the glue method does not work.
    I am always tweaking my spearfishing gear. I just bought another RA 7mm shaft. The new one is a standard flopper shaft, not the RA slip tube like I have been using. I have been missing more fish than usual and think that the slip tube may be the problem. So I'll be putting a tab on my new shaft also.
    Again, thanks for the help

• This is the latest update on my 'hau extra band tab'
    Finally put more effort into getting the extra band tab onto my shafts.
    I followed Dans suggestion of the drilling and pinning today :toast:
    The ONLY bit that would touch the RA spear is tungston carbide in a drill press with lots of time / patience / and cutting oil. Problem is the smallest tungston carbide bit I could find was 1/8. My pins [SS brads from West Marine] are 5/64 so there is lots of slop which may be good as the excess hole size allowed me to lay the pin down at an angle back towards the trigger. I drilled 1 shaft and set the pin into the hole and filled the pin hole with superglue gel. Solder would not stick to the shaft. If the superglue gel fails I'll go to JB Weld to glue in the pin.
    I'll report back after I try out the 'hau extra band pin".

• spearos---problem solved, thanks to all the advice / direction /suggestions from my friends:toast:
    Tin Man hooked me up with McMaster-Carr, www.McMaster.com tooling supplier in Ohio, I called them at 330-995-5500 and ordered 4 5/64 tungsten carbide jobber bits [part # 2956A12] at $8. each. The bits were here in 2-3 days and tonight I chucked 1 up in my drill press, measured back 15in. from the most forward band, locked the shaft in the drill press and watched the RA shaft shavings spin up the bit:thumbsup2:
    I cut a 5/64 pin to the correct length, just long enough to stick out of the shaft and hold the wishbone good and bent it back towards the trigger. I mixed up the JB Weld, put some down the pin hole, on the pin an set the pin into the hole. Next I carefully turned the pin to angle back towards the trigger, wiped off the excess JB Weld and it was done:D
    With what JB Weld I had left over I set the RA POS safety onto the "fire" position and applied the JB Weld so that the safety will forever be locked in the fire position.;)
    As soon as this weather clears, [or we find a target practice pool to use] I'll field test my "hau extra band tab" an report back here

Anyone local that wants to try this 'hau extra band tab' just give me a call/text an come over.:)

Again thanks to all those who helped make this happen. :toast:
    I love this forum :toast: