Gun Building Benefit for Gil Galcula - take 1

• All,

Several months ago the spear gun building and spearing community lost a well loved member, Gil Gacula. Other than the legacy of being a premiere Socal gun builder, Gil left a wife and young kids behind. Jon at Ulusub suggested a benefit build.

Although I never met Gil, I felt compelled and eager to contribute.

My contribution is a: Tiger wood and Padauk, 60" open track mid handle, three 5/8 bands, 400# mono rigged for break away, tuna mech, 5/16 Mori shaft and tip, custom paint, epoxy coat to matte finish, includes Sports Tube.

Shortly after Jon's post, Amadeo Bachar responded that he would be willing to paint a couple guns. I jumped at the opportunity. The gun has a single kelp stock running along the underside of the gun with fronds wrapping each side and terminating at the open track. It is stunning!

Greg and Vanessa at the Freedive Shop provided material for rigging. Best of luck in Peru.

Josh at Neptonics donated a tuna mech. Solid.

Mori provided a 5/16 shaft, slip tip and spare spectra. Sorry you lost a friend.

Finally, a good friend suggested that this build needs a case to protect it from damage. With his help Paul and Thomas at Sports Tube provided a case to protect this beautifully painted gun on its travels to spearfishing destinations world round! Thank you so much!!

This gun will go to the highest bidder as of August 30, 2014 at 12:00, noon, west coast time. 100% of the proceeds go directly to Gil's family. So please bid high, bid often, and let your friends know, too. Direct any questions to me here, via PM, or e-mail to manmidhandles@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for those that donated to this build.

RIP, Gil.

MN

Edited 2 times, last by mike n ().

• Beautiful family - hope someone with spare $$ bids a nice amount for the family. I don't need it but bid $1K on another forum (not weird board) but hope bid goes higher for family.

• Thank you all! I have been keeping Darleen, Gil's widow, up to date one the bids. She was very grateful.

Current bid is $1000, courtesy of Oscar. :thumbsup2:

This size gun has done quite well in HI and Baja. And at this price is quite a bargain. Four days left to bid, don't let this get away!

MN