First gun build.

• Working on my first build. Drew up a rough cad file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the neptonics euro trigger mech with a mako 7.5mm shaft. Also using a jbl handle. Plan on using 2-3 5/8 bands. Not exactly sure how much length I need in front of the handle or behind it as well. Any ideas or direction? I plan on making this gun with my cnc machine so that when I have the programming right it won't be very hard to make more.

• Well the length infront depends on what you are targeting and in what environment you are hunting, rocks, reef, grass/sand bottom? Behind the handle is personal preference but I like no more than 11inches preferably.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I have actually based a lot of my gun off the koah look. Just curious what you guys thought about the length above the handle. I wanted make the gun be able to have a reel or a break away setup.

• If your stock is 1 3/4" tall at the back you will have more than enough material for your design. The neptonics mech is 1" and although I do not know the thickness of the base plate of the JBL handle I don't think it is more than .25" which even when fully recessed leaves you with .5" of wood between the mech and the handle. That is more than enough. Also you have the extra "pad" for mounting a reel. Unless you like the aesthetics it isn't necessary. An enclosed track will not be more than 5/8" from the top of the gun and none of the reels that I know of require screws longer than .75" again leaving plenty of meat.

Not sure if that is what you are asking for or not.

• Yes thank you! Kinda liked the look of the gun with the reel placement piece but sounds like my plan already is bulky enough. Haven't thought about the width much either. I'll have to draw something up. I have based a lot of my design from looking at koah guns. I seem to like there guns the most

• I am using mako 7.5 mm euro shafts anyone know where I can get a dovetail and ball cutter bit for that size to grove my epoxy track?

• You don't need a dovetail if you are going to pour an epoxy track. a regular end mill will work. .5" will be just fine but if you have a smaller bit you can do it in multiple passes. Finding a bit for a 7.5 mm shaft might be tricky but a bit for an 8mm or 5/16" will work fine. Most of the carbide tooling companies will sell a ball end bit that will work. Don't use a burr style bit as it will clog and burn up the track. Look for a bit that has 2 cutting surfaces if possible. If not a single cutting surface will work it will just take longer and clog faster. Another tip is to remove as much material as possible with a .125" or .25" end mill before using the ball end bits. Depending on the epoxy you uses you will have to adjust the feed rate. Some epoxies are more brittle than others.

As for graphite yes any graphite will work I use molybdenum graphite I have left over from some previous projects. You can also add microfiber fillers or even chopped carbon fiber to add additional strength to the track. Dies are also fun to play with. You can get some pretty nice colors if that is your thing.

When you go to pour the track what I have found works best is to mix up substantially more than you need place it in a 1 gallon ziploc bag let it settle for a minute allowing bubbles to rise to the top. Then cut out one corner of the bag and pour the track from the bottom of the bag. This will help eliminate bubbles but you will still have a few so make sure you over pour the track as much as an .125" or more.

• I have seen where some people use a blow torch and lightly go over the track after it's poured to raise the bubbles out. Also do I need to pour the graphite track all the way down the gun or stop it so far from the end.

• The blow torch will get a few of the bubbles but unless you can spend 8 hours watching and going over the track with a torch its mostly a waste of time. It is also really easy to scorch the epoxy with a torch.

The track will run the length of the gun. I have seen some people pour just the front 3-12 inches but I prefer the full length track.

• Is this gun for free diving or scuba?

Tigerwood (the species I am familiar with) is very dense.
    By the time you add your hardware it could be a sinker with the shaft out.

Goncalo Alves | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

Average Dried Weight: 57 lbs/ft3 (905 kg/m3)

Ocean water: 1020 kg/m3

You could consider using the sexy tigerwood as the out side laminates and introduce 3 lighter timbers to the core?

• It's for both. I plan on making the gun in a way that I can attach a break away for freediving and attached to line for scuba