• Hey all.

My wife and I are brand new to Okinawa Japan. I am working on Camp Hansen and live off base in Ginoza. My wife and I are both from Arizona, so I am ready to start my adventure of the ocean. I figured what a better way then to get into spear fishing.

I would like to meet someone that would like to go out every once in a while and spear fish with me. If anyone is interested, please send me a message.

• That is okay. I am happy to at least be apart of this forum. Is there any tips you could give a noob such as myself?

Forinstance, how far out do you go?
    Can you go right off the beach, a few meters out?

• Depends on local legislation first. But yeah great fish can be found in some places right off the shore line. For bigger species you usually have to go further offshore. What are you thinking of targeting and what size gun do you have?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• That is okay. I am happy to at least be apart of this forum. Is there any tips you could give a noob such as myself?

Forinstance, how far out do you go?
    Can you go right off the beach, a few meters out?

Welcome to Speardiver.

How "new" are you? Have you done a fair amount of water time in the sea? Are you certified to scuba by any chance?

Do you have gear? Wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, gloves, knife, weight belt, stringer?

Are you aware of the dangers, the physics and physiology of free diving?

It looks like you have over 1 meter tides on Okinawa so you'll have some current around full and new moons.

Just asking. The first thing about this is to be safe. :)

• To answer you first, Dude George, I am just interested in getting something big enough to eat. From what I understand most of the fish out here are edible; except the obvious ones like Lion Fish ect.

To answer you, Hank, I have a Wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, gloves, and knife. I am looking into getting a stringer and no weight belt; at least not yet.

I am very new. I have gone suba diving once a few years back. I am going to get certified this coming summer when my wife can go to classes with me. Out side of that one experience and some basic snorkleing, not much experience. That was why I had hopes someone else on this forum was still on Okinawa ;)

• Well, if you can't find a buddy, start out just going diving maybe with no sling (that's what your spear is called)
    Get used to the waters so you know what the currents are like. I lived in the Philippines for ten years and they have 2 meter tides. It's no joke and you can get swept away pretty quickly.
    If the vis isn't very good I would try and dive with a buddy and stay close together, one up, one down.

And lion fish are great to eat. Just be careful handling them.

• And lion fish are great to eat. Just be careful handling them.

Wow, Really!?!? I always read that they were among the most poisonous creatures on the planet. They dont seem like it would be worth the kill of a beautiful animal though; not much food?

• Their cousins, Stone Fish, are very deadly. Lionfish (actually that's not the correct name. Turkey fish is the proper name) will cause you a lot of pain if you get poked but they're not deadly.
    The meat is while and flaky. I haven't eaten one but my buddy here eats them and loves them. That's why he shoots them any time he can. He got stung on my boat a couple weeks ago. Pain.....if you get stung get the affected area in as hot water as you can stand. it helps break down the toxin.

Not sure if you're aware but they are now all over the Caribbean. They're an invasive and naturally occur all over the IndoPacific, Pacific islands all the way to Hawaii.

It's an easy target to shoot for your first fish. Just don't touch the dorsal or pectoral spine tips.

• Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

I went out over the weekend, mid afternoon about (when it was convienent for my wife and I to get there) and went out at a random empty beach not far from the house. I went straight in right off the shore but the visability was not good at all. This could be due to the fact I did not go too far out and/or it was the waves kicking up the sea floor.

I am still activly looking for a buddy though. I know there are sharks all over this island, and although attacks are not frequent here, I dont want to be treding this water alone while I am spearing...especially if I get lucky and nail a fish that sends blood everywhere.
    My neighbor was telling me about one of his friends that used to go out and he attracted a bullshark. :@

I am just anxious to start :)